New Reel

• Premium Member
I just finished cutting my new reel, but it's far from final, and would love any critique and feedback so I can make a stronger cut.

http://www.adammcdaid.com/

Thanks,

Adam

Beautiful work! I think you've showed a nice mix of styles and looks - I especially like the lighting in the wide shot of the girl sitting at the desk. The first two shots on the reel have an extreme flickering that looks rather unprofessional compared to the rest of your work (could just be my computer though). I also wouldn't mind seeing some kind of titles to differentiate footage from separate projects. I can tell that you're very good at handheld work, but I'd like to see more static, composed wide shots (like the girl at the desk).

Overall though, I'm really impressed and I can only hope that my reel looks that good someday. :)

Hope this helps.

Beautiful work! I think you've showed a nice mix of styles and looks - I especially like the lighting in the wide shot of the girl sitting at the desk. The first two shots on the reel have an extreme flickering that looks rather unprofessional compared to the rest of your work (could just be my computer though). I also wouldn't mind seeing some kind of titles to differentiate footage from separate projects. I can tell that you're very good at handheld work, but I'd like to see more static, composed wide shots (like the girl at the desk).

Overall though, I'm really impressed and I can only hope that my reel looks that good someday. :)

Hope this helps.

Cool, thanks for the notes, I appreciate it. The filckering that you see in the subway shot was an accident that I'm actually happy with. I shot at an unsafe frame rate and caught the flicker of the overhead fluorescent lights. I agree, I need to get some more static wide shots into my reel. Hopefully I'll get a new project that'll help me in this area. Again, thanks for the notes.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Christie Noh

Just saw your reel and it was fantastic. I haven't seen someone's handheld work that I've been genuinely blown away by. It's something that I myself have been trying to achieve. I think you capture a scene's mood perfectly. Would love to see more of your stuff.

Just saw your reel and it was fantastic. I haven't seen someone's handheld work that I've been genuinely blown away by. It's something that I myself have been trying to achieve. I think you capture a scene's mood perfectly. Would love to see more of your stuff.

Thanks so much for the compliment Christie, I appreciate it because I think my stuff needs a ton of work. If you'd like to see another example of my work, go to the following site: http://www.thinklab.com/video/alexandra/. Do you have anything online? I love seeing other people's work because it inspires me and it's always intersting to see how others see things.

• Premium Member

Welcome to the forum Adam! Happy to see you around here.

I love the reel - I'm a fan of the flickering effect at the start of your reel. I dare say you could cut the first shot and start with the OTS of the girl waiting for the train.

The concert film at the end seems to be the strongest material IMO (is that from your thesis?); it's dynamic and strongly executed from what's clearly a strong concept.

There are a few elements that throw me a bit because they seem a bit out of place - the slow-motion CU of the man running down the hall feels like an effect done in post (a digital slow-motion effect rather than in camera) and (in my opinion) lacks the authenticity of the rest of your reel. There's also a flash frame in there before a night exterior that feels strange to me. Don't misunderstand me - the photography is strong through-out, it's more a comment on the structure of the reel; it's a nit-picky thing really and based solely on taste.

Inspiring stuff and fun to watch. Can't wait to see more.

Welcome to the forum Adam! Happy to see you around here.

I love the reel - I'm a fan of the flickering effect at the start of your reel. I dare say you could cut the first shot and start with the OTS of the girl waiting for the train.

The concert film at the end seems to be the strongest material IMO (is that from your thesis?); it's dynamic and strongly executed from what's clearly a strong concept.

There are a few elements that throw me a bit because they seem a bit out of place - the slow-motion CU of the man running down the hall feels like an effect done in post (a digital slow-motion effect rather than in camera) and (in my opinion) lacks the authenticity of the rest of your reel. There's also a flash frame in there before a night exterior that feels strange to me. Don't misunderstand me - the photography is strong through-out, it's more a comment on the structure of the reel; it's a nit-picky thing really and based solely on taste.

Inspiring stuff and fun to watch. Can't wait to see more.

Hey Jason,

So good to hear from you man. I really appreciate them because they're quite helpful. Yeah, I think the slow-mo's got to go because, as you correctly guessed, it was accomplished in post rather than in camera. I've been struggling with the new cut and I'll definitely consider the notes.

I hear you've been super busy. That's great to hear because that first year out of AFI can be daunting. It gives me hope. Please, keep in touch and let me know what you're up to and if you ever need any help on any projects.

See ya,

Adam