I have been looking through the Education Forum for several days now and I have read about many fellow DP's excitement in being accepted to Masters programs at AFI and/or Chapman. I have read the good and the bad about these programs, the financial costs being the primary bad! :) But I haven't been able to find any info from those people, who would have now finished the Two year intensive program at AFI or would be finishing up at Chapman, as to whether or not they are benefitting from achieving a Masters degree in this field. I have also read through posts by David Mullen and others, as well as set conversations with working DP's, that there is no single route to becomeing a DP.

But does Graduate School Help?

As Many of the Dedicated people at this forum are I am a hard worker, and I want to pose this question so that under the ideal circumstance of being an intelligent, creative and hard working individual which road is more advantageous, Graduate Film School or working in the industry (Camera op, AC, Loader, Juicer, Grip, etc.) as you continue to create films as a DP to Establish yourself.

I also Understand that there can be no clear answer to this question but I would love to hear from both sides so that many of us out here questioning which road to take might be persuaded to make a move one way or the other! Thank you all for your input!