Looking into a new workstation

Michael J. Murphy

I had a computer custom built by a freelancer about two years ago for HDV editing. He did some research and compiled a great computer, with 2GB of RAM, 1 TB drive (with RAID 0), and a GeForce 6600 card.

However, I'm starting to realize that, deep down, this workstation is looking very shaky... let me explain.

The processors are 2.2 GHz, but that doesn't make the cut for my workflow. What has been recommended by others is at least 3.2 GHz, a major difference. The video card is also starting to show faults, and rendering time is sometimes horrific.

To add to the problems, the computer has recently simply shut down After Effects and Premiere without saving, usually in the middle of a very long render. That's a lot of time - and data - lost.

Because of the growing instability and jeopardy to my data, I need some opinions from fellow editors, in case I decide to replace this computer.

I can probably sell this computer for $3000. Would I be able to then buy either a Mac or a PC with plenty of processing power to handle HDV? I've looked at ProMax, Matrox, Edius, AVID, and Apple so far.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michael!!

sometimes the after effects quit unexpectly when is rendering a heavy effects like paints or stuff like this.

i recomend to render in pieces.

maybe is a good idea to re install the after effects and be carefull to delet all the after effects files, crash logs. if you can find the crash log here said why the after effects quit, in which frame and in which layer of the render process.

what is you cut soft? even final cut or avid in a good workstations slow down when have a lot of footage.

if its final cut try to put the playback option and frame rate to dynamic not full resolution, just to work and when you export the final movie go to full quality and let the computer work.

export in sequences is agood idea too.

i hope it helps you. bye!!!

Treegan

I had a computer custom built by a freelancer about two years ago for HDV editing. He did some research and compiled a great computer, with 2GB of RAM, 1 TB drive (with RAID 0), and a GeForce 6600 card.

However, I'm starting to realize that, deep down, this workstation is looking very shaky... let me explain.

The processors are 2.2 GHz, but that doesn't make the cut for my workflow. What has been recommended by others is at least 3.2 GHz, a major difference. The video card is also starting to show faults, and rendering time is sometimes horrific.

To add to the problems, the computer has recently simply shut down After Effects and Premiere without saving, usually in the middle of a very long render. That's a lot of time - and data - lost.

Because of the growing instability and jeopardy to my data, I need some opinions from fellow editors, in case I decide to replace this computer.

I can probably sell this computer for $3000. Would I be able to then buy either a Mac or a PC with plenty of processing power to handle HDV? I've looked at ProMax, Matrox, Edius, AVID, and Apple so far.

Any ideas?

Thanks.