Firestore Firmware 3.0 Update and 720PN Recording

Benjamin Kasulke

Hello,

I'm gearing up for a feature and am new to the Firestore procedure. Due to multiple restrictions we are shooting in 720/24PN mode on the HVX200 in NTSC, my understanding is that previous incarnations of the 100G Firestore could not accomodate native recording formats. However, the 3.0 upgrade of the Firestore firmware is supposed to address and facilitate native format recording direct to the firestore.

Has anyone had any experience with the 3.0 Firware, in particular the recording of 720/24PN directly to the firestore from the camera?

The feature is bound for an NTSC Final Cut Pro system with the standard festival entry-fingers crossed for DI/film out hopes and dreams....

Any warnings, tips, potential pitfalls, and firestore/camera/Final Cut menu setting suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Many Thanks,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Im new to using the HVX just bought one recently. Now I could be wrong, I have experimented quite a bit with the camera, and have done an unseen amount of research and reading.

The firestore, with the new update will allow you to capture, 720p24 native. Now the only reason for this is to save space by not recording duplicate frames, as would normally happen, when shooting in 720p24 at 30fps.

The other reason, is to preview, the footage immediately in-camera, or on an external monitor, through the camera, I use the component out to a JVC monitor with component inputs. This can be done in real time without importing/capturing or ingesting the footage into a computer.

In final cut pro, you would check the box, to remove duplicate frames on ingest/capture. The new final cut ver. 5.1 update, greatly improves capture/ingest, and also provides you with a full size preview window to play the clip, select all clips, name and index it all in one place, similiar to capturing from tape. I currently dont own a firestore, as I have purchased several P2 cards, and the Pana 60gb drive unit. My workflow, is shoot, download the footage to the 60gb drive, back it up, preview it, and then continue shooting. I have friends that do own the unit, and they are thrilled with it, and have not reported any failures. Ver 3.0 update is available and my friend has done it and is quite happy with it. I have given him the info , to read and join this forum. Hopefully when he does, he can elaborate more on the unit. I will be purchase a couple of these units soon though, as Im going away in June. However, even though I know its more money, and trust me I have not hit the lottery lately, I think the few P2 Cards (3) the Panasonic 60gb drive, and the firestore are Ideal to have together. By the way Im still waiting for my P2 Card with the HVX book and DVD, which I dont need anymore from Panasonic. It has been 3 mos, and have still not received the rebate. Which reminds me to call them again tomorrow.

so I hope I have been some help.

George

• 2 weeks later...
Now the only reason for this is to save space by not recording duplicate frames, as would normally happen, when shooting in 720p24 at 30fps.

When shooting 720/24p the camera always records 60 frames not 30. Unless you are in the PN mode which it only stores recorded frames.

Now the only reason for this is to save space by not recording duplicate frames, as would normally happen, when shooting in 720p24 at 30fps.

When shooting 720/24p the camera always records 60 frames not 30. Unless you are in the PN mode which it only stores recorded frames.

Hi Ben,

I have just upgraded our firestore to the latest fireware and am very happy with it's performance. We are shooting 720/24pn and the results are fantastic allowing us to now record much more. Only problem I am running into now is battery life.

Another issue is recording native mode on the firestore leads to some audio issues on playback. "SOUND MUTE" or something similar appears on the screen when you playback native footage in camera on the firestore.. however when imported into FCP the sound is there... I think this has something to do with how it syncs?

Anyway if you have any more questions let me know, I would be happy to test and tell!