beaulieu R16 connections

Stephan Schuh

Hello!

I just bought a beaulieu R16 and want to hook it up to an external battery. I already found out that it is running on 7.2 volts or up to 8 volts. But I can´t find a description of the polarity of the three pins in the plug.

Is there also the same problem like with the 8mm Beaulieu, that the battery is providing two different voltages? I tried to power it with self built extrenal batteries and there was no way I could get it running because of this.

Thank you for your reply!

schuh

Hi Bernie!

Thanks for your reply. Do you know what the 4 Volts are needed for? Can I feed the 8 Volts only and get the camera running anyway?

(I assume that the 8 Volts run the engine and the 4 Volts probably the lightmeter or auto iris/zoom control on the R16 automatic.)

With the Super8 Beaulieu that didn´t work, the 4 and 8 Volts also need to be "balanced" in some way. It didn´t work with just feeding 4 Volts to one cable and 8 to the other because the two voltages share the same ground.

It would be nice if I can use a simple 8 Volt Battery because I have some for my ARRI ST already.

Best regards from Cologne/Germany!

schuh

• Premium Member

Hi Stephan, If you are not using the meter, you are ok with the 8 volts. A lot of people prefer hand-held meters. They are more accurate than the camera's internal meter.

A common ground split- voltage battery is used, they have pancake cells and tap off midway up the cell-stack for the 4 volts.

But again, you simply need Pin#1 as groung and Pin#3 as 8 volts to run the camera. If that's not working, then it could be themotor, or the internal fuse, or even the main power transistor may be caput.