converting 720p24 to DV ntsc

isaac_klotz

first off, this site has been very helpful, thanks! any help on this much appreciated.

my problem:

i have a project which is in 720p24, and i am having trouble downconverting to dv ntsc. i've tried converting in fcp and compressor, and my ntsc file usually comes out 29.97 but has not applied a proper pull-down (2:3:2:3 in this case). Usually I get 4 independent frames and then a duplicated 4th frame as my 5th. i've tried going from 720p24 to 720p30 to dv and i get the same problem. when i convert in compressor, the settings read 29.97 for my output, but the file it spits out is actualy 23.94.

in the fcp manual, they mention pulldown insertion abilities. i found a site which says you can choose one of three pull-down insertion patterns from the RT pop-up menu in the Timeline, but i don't see this feature when i click on the RT button.

anyone have any ideas on this? i'm using fcp 5.1.4 and compressor 2.0

thanks,

isaac

okay, i've found that creating a 23.98 ntsc timeline will actually perform a live pulldown while i'm exporting to my camera via firewire. i would rather find a way to do this conversion in the computer without having to dub a minidv tape and then capture it again. but at least this does work.

Hi isaac!!

why are you doing this? you need to edit in ntsc? or is your final cut?

my advise is to make the film expand (24 to 30) in after effects or shake.

if you use shake this is really easy if not ask me and i will guide you and you will be amaze with the result of doing in shake.

bye!!

Tregan