B&W negative into Avid, convert to positive?

I'm processing some Plus-X B&W negative film and just want to make sure there's an image before I spend the money next time to have it cross processed. I'm told that if I have it processed and do a transfer to tape (cheaply by some corner transfer place) it will (of course) still be negative.

Here's the question...

If I digitize the negative transfer into the Avid (or FCP, etc.) can I just add a negative effect (flip black to white) and have a usable image? I know it might not look perfect but at least I can get a good idea if the camera works properly.

How will this look? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,

--Taylor

So I'm not really sure what you're talking about here. Cross-processing is something you do to reversal film stock to turn it into negative film so that you can make prints off of it. If you shoot negative, simply tell them to process it normally and prep for video. If you're unsure whether the camera works or your own skills, you can look yourself at the negative to see if there is an image or ask the lab or transfer house to check to see if there is a basic image. Assuming there is one then they'll tell you so and then perform the video transfer, which will standardly transform the negative image into a normal positive print image (unless you specifically asked for a negative image, but I don't think that's what you want). Don't involve cross-processing into the discussion when talking to your lab or you're likely to be very unhappy when all of your film comes back ruined.

Thank for the replies:)

To clarify, I was trying to avoid going to a colorist or professional telecine because of money. I was planning on taking my negative to a simple 'mom & pop' film transfer place (about $25). I have been told that it would scratch up and possibly ruin my negative and to try and avoid it.

SO INSTEAD,

I have found a friend that has a 16mm projector. I am going to process the film, have a positive print made and run it on his projector. If, indeed, there is an image I will have a proper miniDV transfer done.

Thanks for all the help:)

--Taylor

I have found a friend that has a 16mm projector. I am going to process the film, have a positive print made and run it on his projector. If, indeed, there is an image I will have a proper miniDV transfer done.

Again, you're wasting your money. Having a workprint made will cost a considerable amount of money. Just call the lab and ask them if you have a useable image on the negative. They'll be happy to take a quick look and give you an honest answer--for free. Just be honest with them about your concerns and be sure to explain this to them when you mail in or drop off your film. They're people too and will treat you fine. They'll tell you if there's an image and if it's seriously under- or over-exposed. Then you can decide whether or not to have a regular transfer to video made.

Don't waste your money on any of these oddball workarounds. Just talk to your lab.