The Dark Knight, 4 scenes in IMAX

• Premium Member

That's weird that he wants to keep the IMAX shot scenes in that aspect ratio instead of scope. That is quite a big change and I wonder how they will transfer these scenes to 35mm? Crop them?

To be honest I'm not a big fan of IMAX for ficiton films, the screen is so big that you don't have really compositions anymore, you just point the camera at what's happening. Also it's harder to play with off-screen, sicne the screen is so big and all-encompassing.

Why doesn't he shoot 5 perf 65mm instead? The quality will still blow any 35mm material out of the water and it has nearly the same aspect ratio as anamorphic. They did shoot some CGI scenes on the 765 for 'The Prestige'.

it looks strage to me to partly film in imax

there is a terrible lack of film to screen in imax (non documentary)

that's why they developed the DMR projector, a smaller projector to match a blow up of 35 feature films.

don't forget imax is before all a projector manufacturer.

i don't totaly agree to say you can't use a cinematography grammar with 15/70, it's what everybidy thought befor "wing of courage" je jean jacques anaud movie featuring val kimler, it was shot like a regular film with close ups .... and it works good (and it was 3D 15/70)

the pb with those uge screen is the rythme of the editing, it takes a while to see whats in the frame so to many cuts are anoying.

i'll film a doco in 15/70 next week, it's a wile i didn't do any i'll let you know about it.

that's the msm 15/70 imax camera designe by martin mueller

it's the last kind of imax cams used today with it's new set of lens withe a dove tail mount.

it roll a 1000ft or a 500ft mag horizontaly on a 15 perf gate it's 65mm hight film : IMAX = image maximum

Nolan is a great director. I'm so happy to have him continue doing these blockbusters so he can keep making films like "memento" and "the prestige", both of which had fantastic cinemtatography to support their great scripts.

jk :ph34r: