Unions

I eventually want to be a professional cinematographer, but I'm trying to come up with the best way of getting to that point. I've done many gigs as a electrician and best boy, but don't know if it would be the best route to join local 728 and then move up the ranks to gaffer and eventually DP in Local 600. Or should I work on smaller projects as a DP and build a base to sell my self around. I have already DP'd several projects for film school and outside of CSUN, but feel I could sustain myself if I joined 728 as opposed to finding jobs as a DP. I don't want to be stuck pulling cable all my life either. Any one have any advice or personal stories to share that will help me make this decision.

Chris Walters

Student Cinematographer

LA

• Premium Member

The truth is, this is a decision you have to make yourself. If it's one or the other for you then you should probably go the route that you think you'll enjoy the most and learn the most doing.

Another option would be to do both. Work as an electrician when the calls come and shoot things when jobs are offered. If in the process you HAVE to join 728, then go for it, but I wouldn't rush to join a union you don't ultimately want to be a member of if you don't have to. Also, don't rush to join 600. You'll know when the time is right. In the meantime there are plenty of projects out there that aren't union jobs.