Red carpet Light

It's been a long time since I've posted...but i had a question.

I'm shooting a red carpet event with a DVX and i was wondering how these events are usually lit. I've tried looking at some pictures online to get an idea. it seems that there are a lot of baby's and some HMI fixtures being used. I will not have my own space to shoot in...as in i'm not doing this for the E! channel etc...so it will be run and gun, can't imagine setting up any lights.

Is the best option to get an on board light then? Are those lights that i see provided by each television crew? Is there usually enough illumination out there? Will i be out of place with a video light on board? I've never used one so i don't want to be blinding people with it...sorry for the ignorance.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated! Thanks!

-Mike

• Premium Member
It's been a long time since I've posted...but i had a question.

I'm shooting a red carpet event with a DVX and i was wondering how these events are usually lit. I've tried looking at some pictures online to get an idea. it seems that there are a lot of baby's and some HMI fixtures being used. I will not have my own space to shoot in...as in i'm not doing this for the E! channel etc...so it will be run and gun, can't imagine setting up any lights.

Is the best option to get an on board light then? Are those lights that i see provided by each television crew? Is there usually enough illumination out there? Will i be out of place with a video light on board? I've never used one so i don't want to be blinding people with it...sorry for the ignorance.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated! Thanks!

-Mike

Make sure you have a sun gun or some other portable light. You will get a lot of shadows with people blocking the HMI's, etc. that will need to be filled in. :)