SDX900 and vegas video

andres victorero

Hi I will shoot a short film (mostly interiors) in August

I´m a owner of a DVX100AE (PAL) and I want to shoot this short film with the SDX900. I plan to mix some DVX shoots (car ext.) and with SDX900. I´m a happy user of Vegas Video and I know that it don´t support DVCPRO 50. Mu questions are the following:

- I hear that there is a codec or so called "Raylight" (dvfilm) at this way you can use DVCpro 50 in Vegas. Someone try this codec raylight?

- I know that I must rent a DVCpro50 Deck, but can be digitalize into my PC via firewire? I have two 120 GB 7200 IDE hard disk in RAID mode

- I´m considering to rent a Panasonic SPX 800 instead a SDX900 and work with P2 cards and save a DVCPRO deck. what do you think? SPX800 and SDX900 are similar in quality images?

I know, is a SDX900 forum, but what do you think about Sony PDW 530? are quite similar in quality image?

thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

PDW-530 is of course tapeless. But the two cameras are definitely comparable, esp when set up correctly. You may find that the 900 has stronger colours out of the box than the 530, and the 900 does perhaps have finer colour matrix controls but they can both be set up to be equal.

To be honest if you are using Vegas 7 you would be better off with the 530 because the two interface directly, and the IMX files can be copied directly to your hard drive and placed straight onto the timeline. Using DVCpro50 with Vegas can be done if you have the codec installed on your system, but it is an additional hassle.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi I will shoot a short film (mostly interiors) in August

I´m a owner of a DVX100AE (PAL) and I want to shoot this short film with the SDX900. I plan to mix some DVX shoots (car ext.) and with SDX900. I´m a happy user of Vegas Video and I know that it don´t support DVCPRO 50. Mu questions are the following:

- I hear that there is a codec or so called "Raylight" (dvfilm) at this way you can use DVCpro 50 in Vegas. Someone try this codec raylight?

- I know that I must rent a DVCpro50 Deck, but can be digitalize into my PC via firewire? I have two 120 GB 7200 IDE hard disk in RAID mode

- I´m considering to rent a Panasonic SPX 800 instead a SDX900 and work with P2 cards and save a DVCPRO deck. what do you think? SPX800 and SDX900 are similar in quality images?

I know, is a SDX900 forum, but what do you think about Sony PDW 530? are quite similar in quality image?

thanks in advance

There is no firewire out from the 900. Hope this helps!