C-mount lens on Screw mount body?

Struwwelpeter

Hello,

I was wondering if adapters are available for using C-mount zooms on a camera which has an M42 pentax screw mount (Krasnogorsk)?

I've looked around the net quite a bit and rang SRB in England with no such luck.

Is this because it's just not possible, or?

If they are available, would I encounter any problems such as vignetting on the wider angles with a 12-120mm C-mount lens on a K-3?

Thanks for your time,

Peter.

Hi-

It may be more of an issue with the flange focal distance- a c-mount lens sits very close to the film plane while a pentax mount lens is much further away. An adaptor would probably look like an inverted cone that would sink into the camera body to get the c-mount lens close enough to the film plane, and may crash into the camera's shutter.

The opposite adaptor, which lets you mount pentax screw mt. onto a c-mount body sticks out about 2" from the camera's c-mount.

If you do happen to find one, report back!

Okay, i gave Les a call a few hours ago and aside from being a really pleasant chatty guy, he knows his stuff and was quite happy to talk me through everything like the amateur I am :P

Simply put, No. It's not possible to make an adapter to use C-mount lenses on an M42 body for the reasons you describe Patrick.

He is however able to convert a C-mount lens to M42 for about £150. Depending on whether you are planning on selling the lens in the future or upgrading cameras to a C-mount, this may or may not be a wise decision. I believe you can get adapters for using M42 lenses on C-mount cameras so this may not be as a big an issue as it sounds.

If i decide to give it a go, I'll be sure to let you know what happens!

Take Care,

Peter