Audio In Jack

Guest Chris Wanamaker

Guest Chris Wanamaker

I have to apologize ... I am not very good when it comes to the audio part of the camera! We are going to be filming an event this Sunday and the person asked if we could plug directly into the audio system so that we can capture the audio as its played instead of the audience laughing and clapping. They have a 1/4" RCA jack for us to plug in ... does the XL1 have a spot for that or do I have to get some adapters?

• Premium Member
I have to apologize ... I am not very good when it comes to the audio part of the camera! We are going to be filming an event this Sunday and the person asked if we could plug directly into the audio system so that we can capture the audio as its played instead of the audience laughing and clapping. They have a 1/4" RCA jack for us to plug in ... does the XL1 have a spot for that or do I have to get some adapters?

A general word of advice: always go through a production mixer when jacking into a sound system. A production mixer has much more versatility in what levels, impedances, etc. it can handle. Plus if someone feeds you a really screwed up signal, better to fry a channel in a mixer than your camera. I personally use a Shure M386, it's a bit big compared to most production mixers but I got it real cheap off eBay, someone mislisted it as electronic test equipment and I got it for the $35 minimum bid!

• 3 months later...

The XL1 has a 3.5mm stereo jack, so you could easily get an adapter (or a 1/4 to 3.5mm cable) to convert between them. one thing too look out for though is that the socket is quite recessed, so test to make sure the plug is thin enough to go all the way in, otherwise severe buzz lies in you future!

• 1 month later...
The XL1 has a 3.5mm stereo jack, so you could easily get an adapter (or a 1/4 to 3.5mm cable) to convert between them. one thing too look out for though is that the socket is quite recessed, so test to make sure the plug is thin enough to go all the way in, otherwise severe buzz lies in you future!

Are you talking about the jack where the canon shotgun mic's wierd looking plugs go? The canon mic has two little plugs. (I was told one is for the audio, the other is for power). If I have an Azden WLX pro, which only has one small plug, will it work when inserted in the XL1's audio jack? Thanks.

Are you talking about the jack where the canon shotgun mic's wierd looking plugs go? The canon mic has two little plugs. (I was told one is for the audio, the other is for power). If I have an Azden WLX pro, which only has one small plug, will it work when inserted in the XL1's audio jack? Thanks.

All correct, should work, just make sure to keep a close eye (ear?) on the audio as it isn't particularly good connection, and can often cause some heavy buzz.