leatherman

Ernest Cahl

Just as a general answer to the question, I'd say get something on the more affordable side of the spectrum - you tend not to need most of the bells and whistles that get added on successively costlier models. My current one has pliers, a knife, scissors, philips head and two different sized flat heads, and a bottle opener. I use everything but the opener, but don't really find myself needing much else. My model is the Fuse, IIRC. I know some people who regularly use the serrated blade/mini-saw, but I've never had cause to, and if you really have something that tough, probably best to go get the real tools.

But that's all just my $120 meds (5 cents in Cuba).

OK, I'm staying on topic here. I use the Leatherman Kick. I think it's the best bang for the buck ($25 at Target) and has most of what I need in a pinch when I don't have a toolbox around: knife, pliers, wire cutter, 2 flat blade and a medium Phillips screwdrivers, and a bottle opener. No saw blades, compass, GPS or IP address. Takes no batteries. It isn't so big it gets in the way, like the all-out mondo toolkits do. And I carry a thumb drive on my keychain - it gets alot of use also.

Edited by Robert Hughes

• Premium Member

i''m using the Gerber "Suspension". it was cheap and has the few things i use consistently. it also has springloaded pliers which i like.

emphasis on the cheap. this is my fourth or fifth leatherman type tool. i have a hard time hanging onto them. :-)