registration issues

tanner wolfe

we had registration issues with, i believe, some of the footage from our short. i am not sure because the first and last time that i saw the dailies i was feverishly color-correcting them. if the issue is intermittent then it is a magazine or a.c. problem. correct? i used a very reputable camera house out of detroit that i trust. however, my assistant was not a veteran. pls. advise.

tanner

hi

registration issues on an sr3 is certainly a problem os mag.

do you have a camra report that says what mag it is about?

usualy there are camera test done prior to filming, thoses test will prevent from these kind of problem.

the trap is the intermitent problem but it's covered by insurences.

was the incriminated mag tested by the rental house after the shoot?

can you discribe the registration issue, is it on the neg?

good luck

usualy there are camera test done prior to filming, thoses test will prevent from these kind of problem.

the trap is the intermitent problem but it's covered by insurences.

was the incriminated mag tested by the rental house after the shoot?

can you discribe the registration issue, is it on the neg?

good luck

i wanted to do a registration test, of course. however the production i was working for gave us no time or budget for that. they did not commit to shooting film until a week before principal photography. this was very, very low-budget and many common procedures were ignored.

the issue is on the neg. we made no prints; it went straight to HD. could the registration problem have occurred as a result of a badly loaded mag. or is the mag. itself to blame? i have not contacted the rental house yet. i just saw the problem when i was doing color correction.

tanner

• Premium Member
i wanted to do a registration test, of course. however the production i was working for gave us no time or budget for that. they did not commit to shooting film until a week before principal photography. this was very, very low-budget and many common procedures were ignored.

the issue is on the neg. we made no prints; it went straight to HD. could the registration problem have occurred as a result of a badly loaded mag. or is the mag. itself to blame? i have not contacted the rental house yet. i just saw the problem when i was doing color correction.

tanner

Well, a registration problem is pretty unlikely to be a poorly loaded mag. The only things that can happen from a badly loaded SR mag, due to their design, is that it won't take up or the loop is incorrect and the camera will outright jam. If the problem is intermittent, can you connect the problem to anything about the shots? For example, are the wobbly shots all at a high or low speed?

Another thing to check, was the film fresh? If the film has a chance to expand or contract the pulldown claw and registration pin could have trouble properly doing their jobs.

Well, a registration problem is pretty unlikely to be a poorly loaded mag. The only things that can happen from a badly loaded SR mag, due to their design, is that it won't take up or the loop is incorrect and the camera will outright jam. If the problem is intermittent, can you connect the problem to anything about the shots? For example, are the wobbly shots all at a high or low speed?

Another thing to check, was the film fresh? If the film has a chance to expand or contract the pulldown claw and registration pin could have trouble properly doing their jobs.

we did do some high speed work. however, i remember the problem happening on a 24fps shot. i dont' remember if any of the high speed footage was compromised or not. i am anxiously waiting to get a copy of the dailies. i've only seen the footage once and it drives me crazy thinking about it. also, the film was received directly from kodak and thrown into the camera. on monday, i'll talk to the rental house about the magazine. thanks.