S16mm final print question/advice

Salvador M. Rodrigues

Hi Everyone,

Not sure where to post this..

In the past 6 months I shot a Super 16 short film with a duration of 9 minutes. I had around 45 minutes of footage that was telecined through a spirit into a dvcam tape. I have edited the short film using fcp, and have added some cgi fx and have layed down the sound design but I haven't done colour grading yet.

I'm not planning on having the film distributed and haven't thought about making the festival rounds (I am very self critical about my work). However I am very keen on having a print copy done for my own purposes (this was my first film project) and also to get the best resolution for digital medium (dvd).

How should I proceed from here ?

Confused about all the jargon and different options available, my head tells me to

1. Do another telecine,this time uncompressed into a hard drive or to HD using best light.

2. Re-align the footage with the original edl

3. Lay down the cgi and sound design

4. Have the film digitaly colour graded

5. And then make a print from the digital file ?

Thanks very much in advance for any replies!

SMR

I don't want to second guess your project, but since it's your first one I'd say take it right to DVD and move on to the distribution phase. If the distributors and audiences are pounding down your doors for an HD or 35mm print, have them pay for it. But you're probably not going to have much interest in a 9 minute short. Use it as a show reel to interest backers in your next project.