Panasonic HSC1

Brant Collins

So my first camera was a Canon GL-2. Great camera I still use for corporate videos paid $3000 new. My next camera was a used DVX100...loved that camera but it was stolen. Today at Best Buy I saw the Panasonic HSC1 for $999. It would reason it has better res than my GL-2 and besides hearing clients say"Damn that cameras no bigger than my video camera, why should I pay you and just do it myself"(I have had that from clients with my GL-2 and DVX) What does everyone think about these new crop of consumer hard drive and sd card HD cameras. I thought one would be good for mounting on cars, underwater housing, helmet cam etc. where you do not want to chance your $6000 HVX200.

FCP can now import the AVCHD format as of 6.0.1

Edited by Brant Collins

So my first camera was a Canon GL-2. Great camera I still use for corporate videos paid $3000 new. My next camera was a used DVX100...loved that camera but it was stolen. Today at Best Buy I saw the Panasonic HSC1 for $999. It would reason it has better res than my GL-2 and besides hearing clients say"Damn that cameras no bigger than my video camera, why should I pay you and just do it myself"(I have had that from clients with my GL-2 and DVX) What does everyone think about these new crop of consumer hard drive and sd card HD cameras. I thought one would be good for mounting on cars, underwater housing, helmet cam etc. where you do not want to chance your $6000 HVX200.

FCP can now import the AVCHD format as of 6.0.1

I'd spend the extraq money to ge tthat package that bundles the little 40G hard drive to store the files from the SD card. Also note that the little camera is amazing but does not have 24p. And FCP will read AVCHD files, but only on Intel machines.

• 3 months later...

:ph34r:

I am not surprised on your clients reaction, many people seem to think good things are done with bigger equipment because thats what "hollywood" uses or big companies in general. They do not understand the advance technology and how even smaller cameras can do a great job, almost as good as the professional equipment or close enough. With editing, miracles happen and color correcting.

All these people go by is the visualization of the equipment, show them some of your work first and then let them judge.

In my opinion, people like that irk me and i am sorry you are going through that. I guess it is something we must get use to as pro-sumer users.

Reve