Newbie needs XL2 help!

alex webb

I am shooting quick and dirty in a pizza parlor - convinced owner to let me shoot after hours, but he is not giving me much time. so no lighting time. just the XL2 and my feeble brain.

Doing a test in the overhead fluorescent environment tomorrow. any suggestions on 4 or 5 possible pre-sets to shoot in the test? and then choose the best.

thank you! Very much!

alex

• Premium Member

Yea, get some of those clamp lights from Home Despot. Put 100 watt bulbs in them. All you need is enough light to create directional lighting to sculpt your subjects to compensate for that God-awful flat lighting from the flos. White balance as you go. Done.

Yea, get some of those clamp lights from Home Despot. Put 100 watt bulbs in them. All you need is enough light to create directional lighting to sculpt your subjects to compensate for that God-awful flat lighting from the flos. White balance as you go. Done.

Thank you very much.

You can also try switching off certain lights if possible (or just disconnecting select bulbs). I have run into many rooms where one switch may shut off every other light or some pattern of lights. I have had to do this a couple of times, it wasn't perfect but coupled with some careful actor positioning it wasn't bad. If you have a little more time you could also try to flag the existing lights for the same effect. Good luck!

Guest Mike Andrade

As Paul said get some simple light sources to break up the flat look of the overhead flo's. If there are any windows in the place you might want to motivate a cheap 500w halogen work light coming from it.