A film noir fan's DP reel... check it out!

Nick Harris

I think I posted this earlier in the wrong forum, but I'd love to have you guys critique my reel!

http://harrisfilms.com/videos/dpreel_sm.mov

Everything on this reel was shot on a budget of $10,000 or less, with the exception of the film noir, 1930's era stuff (which was still super low budget).

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say!

-Nick Harris

• Premium Member

You have a lot of nice color in there. Very beautiful, muted palettes in some of the lower-key stuff. The shot of the forest is a bit mundane and it looks like it strobes a bit. I would personally cut it.

Another thing, chop the letterboxes off of the final movie. It looks slicker and it cuts the file size some.

Thank you Chris, I know what you mean about the forest (actually a Louisiana swamp) shot being a bit mundane and strobing... for now though, it acts as a bridge between the darker shots and the brighter stuff, and I really like the wipe with the tree. It will be the next shot I look to replace though!

As for the letterboxing, I would LOVE to know how I can cut the bars off. The problem is, I had exported an older copyo f my reel in full anamorphic quality so that I could delete some of the source files and just use that as a reference. However, I ended up accidentally deleting the anamorphic source file, and all I have left is the letterboxed version of those shots. As is, I'm only sending out letterboxed DVD's to producers, so it's not a big deal. But I know what you're saying and it has been bugging me to have the internet version letterboxed unnecessarily. I'm cutting on Final Cut Pro 5.1.4, any advice would be great!

Thanks again,

Nick

You have a lot of nice color in there. Very beautiful, muted palettes in some of the lower-key stuff. The shot of the forest is a bit mundane and it looks like it strobes a bit. I would personally cut it.

Another thing, chop the letterboxes off of the final movie. It looks slicker and it cuts the file size some.

• Premium Member
Thank you Chris, I know what you mean about the forest (actually a Louisiana swamp) shot being a bit mundane and strobing... for now though, it acts as a bridge between the darker shots and the brighter stuff, and I really like the wipe with the tree. It will be the next shot I look to replace though!

As for the letterboxing, I would LOVE to know how I can cut the bars off. The problem is, I had exported an older copyo f my reel in full anamorphic quality so that I could delete some of the source files and just use that as a reference. However, I ended up accidentally deleting the anamorphic source file, and all I have left is the letterboxed version of those shots. As is, I'm only sending out letterboxed DVD's to producers, so it's not a big deal. But I know what you're saying and it has been bugging me to have the internet version letterboxed unnecessarily. I'm cutting on Final Cut Pro 5.1.4, any advice would be great!

Thanks again,

Nick

I do it by altering the timeline properties in FCP. I just reduce the height of the timeline and it crops the bars off, leaving me with a nice, clean 1.85 .mov.

• Premium Member
Thanks Chris, I've been wondering that for quite a while!

No problem. It's usually a trial and error thign to get just the right height that it cuts the bars off but not too much picture. Also, be careful with odd numbers in the height field. Sometimes, if it has to split a line of pixels in half it will do strange things and make a green or grey 1-pixel line at the top or bottom of the frame.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Great stuff man, very very nice.

I got to say though, that it is the third reel that I see where this song is used in the last month. It is probably something you don't worry about, and you cut to it nicely, just a note.

Thanks for the encouraging words guys!

Hmm, I've been using this song for 3 years now on my reel. I'm personally sick of it, but every time I post it or someone new sees it they compliment the musical choice. It definitely fits my shooting and lighting style. I have a feeling that these other cats must have seen my reel and thought to start using it, as it's not really in the mainstream any more and as I recall, I had a hard time tracking down the artist after I happened to hear it on the radio 3 years ago. But who knows, I shouldn't assume, haha.