Director's Showreel

Ashley Wing

• 2 weeks later...

Hey gang,

Any tips or alterations in terms of spicing up the reel? Does it play out ok or does it seem boring? I was thinking maybe cutting the clips down to 45 secs rather than letting them play out for 1m30secs. I selected three here, but I was also wondering if you thnk the opening is suitible, does it seem silly or pointless. I've never put a showreel together so im lookig for some guidence with this one.

Thanks again as always

Ash

Hey gang,

Any tips or alterations in terms of spicing up the reel? Does it play out ok or does it seem boring? I was thinking maybe cutting the clips down to 45 secs rather than letting them play out for 1m30secs. I selected three here, but I was also wondering if you thnk the opening is suitible, does it seem silly or pointless. I've never put a showreel together so im lookig for some guidence with this one.

Thanks again as always

Ash

Ashley

Yes, it's a bit long. Here are my opinions but keep in mind they are just that, opinions.

The opening with you and the Gl2 should be eliminated completely.

Start the reel with the multi-window thing you got going right after that.

The war clip has some interesting stuff but cut out the talking section and put in the best footage

in terms of dramatic angles and captured action from the battle sequence.

If it flows that way in the actual film, that's for the film. Re-cut for your reel.

The music video had some really cool things going on it but I'd find a way to use

the strongest section of that as well.

Typically, for a first reel you want to keep it as short and powerful as possible.

If you even have a slight feeling that something is off or it doesn't grab you then cut it out.

Be ruthless.

Sometimes it's easy to get married to the images we create.

Overall nice work.

• 3 weeks later...
Ashley

Yes, it's a bit long. Here are my opinions but keep in mind they are just that, opinions.

The opening with you and the Gl2 should be eliminated completely.

Start the reel with the multi-window thing you got going right after that.

The war clip has some interesting stuff but cut out the talking section and put in the best footage

in terms of dramatic angles and captured action from the battle sequence.

If it flows that way in the actual film, that's for the film. Re-cut for your reel.

The music video had some really cool things going on it but I'd find a way to use

the strongest section of that as well.

Typically, for a first reel you want to keep it as short and powerful as possible.

If you even have a slight feeling that something is off or it doesn't grab you then cut it out.

Be ruthless.

Sometimes it's easy to get married to the images we create.

Overall nice work.

Ah fantastic, some feedback! You mention about cutting the clips to the most dramatic angles, do I lose the original audio and replace it with something completely different, then cut the most dramatic shots to the new music. I'll trim the fat of the clips, I wasn't sure if i should have more action or more drama in the clips. Should the reel be more of a montage than segments of work?

Edited by Ashley Wing