Finished Feature Film as a Director/DP

hello everybody,

most recently I directed and shot a 35mm feature. We expect it to be released around the AFM, as we have already made few successful steps towards distribution.

I never asked for any feedback so far, but would love to know what the forum's professionals think of the trailer, the cinematography, etc... That is quite different than getting notes from the general audience.

You can see it via:

www.kinokamera.com/polycarp/polycarp.mov

Thank you.

Edited by George Lekovic

WELL looks great! hot, snappy and serious.

i'm not a fan of this genre film but i could pay my ticket for this one.

the cast looks verry good as well as the photography.

the trailer is good

congratulation ! i think it's the apropriate word for this work

best of luck for the take off

excuse me, you are 29 and you directed and photographed this film!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

triple congrat you may be the next kusturica?

i'm verry impressed

he. thanks. finishing a feature is indeed a small miracle in itself. the problem comes when you are itching to do your next project right away, but instead it turns out you have to wait and wait... for things to happen.

cheers/george

Looks good George, although the trailer is a bit dark....but maybe it's just my computer screen.

You shouldn't have too much trouble getting distribution I wouldn't think.

Good luck!

Thanks Brad. On some screens the trailer comes across dark. We also shot the film in a way to preserve deep blacks, so most frames do have large black areas. I'll double check how the trailer shows on other screens and correct the issue if possible.

Cheers.

Hey George - great job! I'm sure that was a ton of work and you pulled it of well. Congrats!

I know for me, that Quicktime movies created on a pc need gamma correction to show up correctly on a mac. I don't know if that could be the issue.

Good luck as you move forward.

tom

Tell us a little background, how much did it cost, where did you find the money, what are the details of the shoot, how did you come up with the script, how did you secure distribution, who worked on the film with you, where they all paid or is this deferred and anything else you can elaborate on.

Tell us a little background, how much did it cost, where did you find the money, what are the details of the shoot, how did you come up with the script, how did you secure distribution, who worked on the film with you, where they all paid or is this deferred and anything else you can elaborate on.

James,

it was by a low budget project, but we managed to pull it off by putting all of our resources together. The money was raised privately, but on such low cost it did look promising (and it still does) as far as returning investment + profit goes. The top level staff was all deferred: producers, director, dp, editor, sound design... Everybody else was paid a fair rate.

It really was a result of meticulous preparation and planning. It was all done on a tight schedule, w/ almost no overtimes and no pick ups. Every location was scouted several times. Every scene was storyboarded and blocked in advance. The lighting was planned in advance as well. That is what really helped keep the cost withing the available budget.

Hope this helps.

How many shooting days did you have, how big was you crew, how many locations did you have, did you also produce, what where your leads or name actors paid, how did you decide on them, how did you negotiate the terms and how many days did you have them for? If you have any reservations about actual figures, you can use ballpark amounts, this also applies to your budget. (I promise it won't leave this room :D you could also PM me if you prefer to on the figures. This is REALLY for my own knowledge and education, nothing nefarious I swear. )

Also I found Beverly Lynne to be an unusual casting choice although from the trailer, it looks like she did a good job, did you hire her for the anticipated cult following you felt might come with her name and where you at all concerned about hiring her give her previous credits? The reason I ask is I actually thought about doing this myself (Not necessarily Miss Lynne mind you although after seeing the trailer, I definitely wouldn't rule her out. but someone with similar credits) for name recognition, but had these same concerns with regards to marketing.....which I admit maybe totally unfounded. Thanks