Filters

Guest Frederico Dichiara

Guest Frederico Dichiara

Hi.

I am looking to rent a set of low cons and a couple of foggers for a commercial I'm shooting but the filter frame on the Kinor mattebox is too large or too small for the available filters. Does anyone have any experience with mounting 4"x 4" filters to a 5"x5" filter frame?

Thanks

F

That's the bitch of using communist equipment, Frederico, everything is a little different. What I did was bought some resin filters cut to size (5x5), BUT I only got some color correction filters not low-con or fog. I THINK the larger filter frames in the mattebox kit might fit 6.6x6.6 and then of coarse there are the anamorphic frames which will almost CERTAINLY be custom cut filters. I'd just plan on buying some custom cut filters as you can afford them, the way I am, and maybe using tape or fabricating an adapter for the time being. Just take this as small payment for getting a GREAT motion picture camera for half the price of it's Western equivalent. In MY opinion, it's well worth the trade off! B)

Guest Frederico Dichiara
That's the bitch of using communist equipment, Frederico, everything is a little different. What I did was bought some resin filters cut to size (5x5), BUT I only got some color correction filters not low-con or fog. I THINK the larger filter frames in the mattebox kit might fit 6.6x6.6 and then of coarse there are the anamorphic frames which will almost CERTAINLY be custom cut filters. I'd just plan on buying some custom cut filters as you can afford them, the way I am, and maybe using tape or fabricating an adapter for the time being. Just take this as small payment for getting a GREAT motion picture camera for half the price of it's Western equivalent. In MY opinion, it's well worth the trade off! B)

Hey Bev!

I have a filterframe that would fit a 6X6 Filter but the problem would be that I'd have to use an anamorphic mattebox and the particular one leaves an open area between the lens and doughnut. I don't like to have uncontrolleable, excess light and that's wahy I want to use 4x4 filters on a 5x5 filterframe. Looking at the tiffen homepage, it says nothing about the contrast, promist or fogger filters being gradients of any kind so I'm guessing that chopping up a 6x6 down to a 5x5 cou.dn't hurt. What do you think?

Frederico

Hey Bev!

I have a filterframe that would fit a 6X6 Filter but the problem would be that I'd have to use an anamorphic mattebox and the particular one leaves an open area between the lens and doughnut. I don't like to have uncontrolleable, excess light and that's wahy I want to use 4x4 filters on a 5x5 filterframe. Looking at the tiffen homepage, it says nothing about the contrast, promist or fogger filters being gradients of any kind so I'm guessing that chopping up a 6x6 down to a 5x5 cou.dn't hurt. What do you think?

Frederico

Why not?! That should work like a charm! Buy one, get it cut and see how it works.