Canon GL2 widescreen mode

Darrell Abney

So I've been researching this and I'm still stumped.

I'm shooting a short film in a few weeks with the GL2. (no lens attachments unforunately)

I'm going for the widescreen look. This film is mostly going to be shown online and on dvd.

I'm using the GL2 primarily and I'm curious what will give me more resolution if any, do I shoot with 16x9 mode on, or shoot 4x3 then add black bars later?

From what I'm reading 16x9 on a GL2 isn't "true".

Also in my editing package I'm curious if I'll have to set the project to 16x9 or not (if i go the 4x3 mode with black bars added in post route).

If you had a GL2 and you had to chose between 16x9 mode and 4x3 (keeping in mind final output will be 16x9) which would you chose?

Thank you

So I've been researching this and I'm still stumped.

I'm shooting a short film in a few weeks with the GL2. (no lens attachments unforunately)

I'm going for the widescreen look. This film is mostly going to be shown online and on dvd.

I'm using the GL2 primarily and I'm curious what will give me more resolution if any, do I shoot with 16x9 mode on, or shoot 4x3 then add black bars later?

From what I'm reading 16x9 on a GL2 isn't "true".

Also in my editing package I'm curious if I'll have to set the project to 16x9 or not (if i go the 4x3 mode with black bars added in post route).

If you had a GL2 and you had to chose between 16x9 mode and 4x3 (keeping in mind final output will be 16x9) which would you chose?

Thank you

16x9 or 4x3 isn't going to improve any resolution. Understand that these camera functions are conveniences for realtime matte observance. The draw back with 16x9 with the GL2 is that it's "cutting" away your upper and lower sections digitally. Even if you shoot at 4x3 and you want that widescreen 16x9 matte look in post you're still eliminating your upper and lower sections. Research about camera sensors/chips that are more ideally designed for 16x9 ratio/capture. You'll notice that marketed and in the specs. Unfortunately, unless you have something like a Century Anamorphic lens, which is costly, you won't benefit from true 16x9 capture to 4x3. In other words if you use an anamorphic lens its shaping the light so that your GL2 can take advantage of 16x9 on all areas of your sensors. It'll look distorted through your 4x3 display, but in post the 16x9 will stretch out fine and via a widescreen monitor.

So, I recommend just setting it to 16x9. If you set to 4x3 you're just doing an extra step in post when you matte. Plus again the 16x9 matte benefit in realtime is ideal for your situation and the camera you're working with.

btw, you're not a filmmaker are you? =P

Edited by Chris Graham