Panasonic HPX500 - HPX2100 sensor question

Timo Klages

I already read in some other threads about the HPX500 and HVX2000 and so on but one information that i am still missing is about the sensors (ccd´s) in these cameras.

the panasonic homepage tells me, that the HPX2100 has an "active" resolution of 1280x720 pixels that are used and recorded so to speak. but i never got a reply from panasonic when i asked about the sensor in the HPX500.

can anyone tell me, what kind of sensor (actice pixels and so on) is used in the HPX500?

i am still wondering why there is such a great price difference between the 2100 and the 500.

thanks for anyone who can help!

timo klages

• Premium Member

On the sensor side, the HPX-2000 has 1280 x 720 2/3" sensors. The HPX-500 has lower resolution 2/3" sensors, they're supposed to be upgrades to the SDX-900's sensors (which were 960x480), but with a new spatial offset technology applied to get up to HD resolution.

In addition, the HPX-500 has the same basic imaging controls as the HVX-200, while the HPX-2000 has a lot more advanced controls over gamma, matrix, etc. The 2000 also can handle AVC-Intra through an optional card...

Add to that the HPX-2000 has one more P2 slot, and there's the price difference.

Both cameras look good, obviously, and they're both good choices at their respective price points, but the HPX-2000 is going to have better performance in a number of ways - that's what you pay the extra $ for.

Best.

John

On the sensor side, the HPX-2000 has 1280 x 720 2/3" sensors. The HPX-500 has lower resolution 2/3" sensors, they're supposed to be upgrades to the SDX-900's sensors (which were 960x480), but with a new spatial offset technology applied to get up to HD resolution.

In addition, the HPX-500 has the same basic imaging controls as the HVX-200, while the HPX-2000 has a lot more advanced controls over gamma, matrix, etc.

Add to that the HPX-2000 has one more P2 slot, and there's the price difference.

Both cameras look good, obviously, and they're both good choices at their respective price points, but the HPX-2000 is going to have better performance in a number of ways - that's what you pay the extra $ for.

Best.

John

thank you for the fast reply!

greets,

timo