35mm Flatbed Editing Workshop

Jesus Sifuentes

Que pasa, amigo! we're here in El Paso at the edge of the Lone Star State (literally, 15 miles from the border with New Mexico) I have 2 KEM six plate flatbeds that I intent to use to edit my next film on. I feel for low budget, old school is the way to go, 'coarse I also have a step printer and Brey processing machine so I'll probably print my own dailies. I still have to find a coding machine but everything in it's time.

I posted a thread a while back on DVDs of VHS instructional videos on the subject and couldn't find any. I DID learn that the movie VENICE / VENICE had a scene of someone using the machine also in the movie Blow out, Travolta uses a synchronizer, it looks like a 16mm but you can see the technique used. also there is a great book by Norman Hollyn called The Film Editing Room Handbook (second edition) that is LOADED with information.

I'm sorta surprised you can't find anyone near by. Your what. like 80 miles away from Austin? That's like the hottest indy scene going right now. Some of those guys have GOT to be editing on Steenbecks and KEMs. Did you call the South by Southwest festival people or the Austin Film office and just ask if they knew any editors and if they cut on flatbeds or Moviolas? Just an idea.

As far as I know, I'm the only guy in this area that has this kind of equipment. Not much of a film scene in El Paso and what here is is super 8 and 16. I think there's one guy who's cobbled together a s16 rig but I don't know what he's got. I think there's a few HD cameras around but not to many.

Did you buy a flatbed and are trying to learn how to use it or just doing research so you can make a decision? If you bought, what did you get?

One other thought, you may check with Christy?s Editorial Film & Video Supply:

3625 W. Pacific Ave.

Burbank , CA 91505

Phone: (818) 845-1755

Phone 2: (800) 556-5706

Fax: (818) 845-1756

Web: www.christys.net

Email: info@christys.net

They may have some info on classes or at least be able to point you in the right direction. B)

Que pasa, amigo! we're here in El Paso at the edge of the Lone Star State (literally, 15 miles from the border with New Mexico) I have 2 KEM six plate flatbeds that I intent to use to edit my next film on. I feel for low budget, old school is the way to go, 'coarse I also have a step printer and Brey processing machine so I'll probably print my own dailies. I still have to find a coding machine but everything in it's time.

I posted a thread a while back on DVDs of VHS instructional videos on the subject and couldn't find any. I DID learn that the movie VENICE / VENICE had a scene of someone using the machine also in the movie Blow out, Travolta uses a synchronizer, it looks like a 16mm but you can see the technique used. also there is a great book by Norman Hollyn called The Film Editing Room Handbook (second edition) that is LOADED with information.

I'm sorta surprised you can't find anyone near by. Your what. like 80 miles away from Austin? That's like the hottest indy scene going right now. Some of those guys have GOT to be editing on Steenbecks and KEMs. Did you call the South by Southwest festival people or the Austin Film office and just ask if they knew any editors and if they cut on flatbeds or Moviolas? Just an idea.

As far as I know, I'm the only guy in this area that has this kind of equipment. Not much of a film scene in El Paso and what here is is super 8 and 16. I think there's one guy who's cobbled together a s16 rig but I don't know what he's got. I think there's a few HD cameras around but not to many.

Did you buy a flatbed and are trying to learn how to use it or just doing research so you can make a decision? If you bought, what did you get?

One other thought, you may check with Christy?s Editorial Film & Video Supply:

3625 W. Pacific Ave.

Burbank , CA 91505

Phone: (818) 845-1755

Phone 2: (800) 556-5706

Fax: (818) 845-1756

Web: www.christys.net

Email: info@christys.net

They may have some info on classes or at least be able to point you in the right direction. B)

Hey James. Thank you bro, for taking the time to give me such awesome resources. If you can send me an email with your contact info we can talk shop and see if we can work something out. I work for a Grip/Lighting company were I am a grip. So I can easily get a 5 ton truck for dirt cheap. I got a short film I am in development stages working out budgets and creative options. One being shooting on 35mm and editing it on a flatbed. Please get a hold of me asap. Gracias. p.s. I use to live in el paso for about a year on Mesa St. :D

elgatonegro13@gmail.com

www.elgatonegrofilms.com

Edited by Jesús Sifuentes

Ahahaha, I live out in the Northeast near Dyer and TransMountain. (It's Steve BTW) Very cool!! My email is listed on my profile, just click on my name, It'll take you there. I'm working with Mel Kekuewa. He's got a 10 ton sitting over at my studio along with a Hell of a genny and an 8 ton over in Albuquerque but we may still have use for a 5 ton at some point. Here's a of shot of it with the studio (the adobe looking building) when we had the 10 ton out front :

Picture081.jpg

Here's a quick pic of the studio with my camera truck in front:

Picture083.jpg

We're gonna be needing a good grip, well a few of 'em. In fact we'll need a key grip, because Mel's gonna DP this one. I'm trying to raise the cash right now to do "Blood Moon Rising" a sorta different kinda werewolf movie that includes elements of Noir and Action/Adventure all shot in the desert and local locations (One place I want to use is the San Elizario Mission, I was commissioned to write and directed a Christmas musical for the Mission Trail Association a few years back and got in pretty tight with Father Steve that pastor over there so I 'm pretty sure I can get it, BEAUTIFUL location).

I actually have a full production company, a few cameras, (a Kinor 35C Rotovision 5000 package with a FULL set of lenses, INCLUDING anamorphcs just gone through by Bruce at Aranda in Australia and a MINT condition Konvas KSR-1 wi again a full set of sphericals and 200 and 400 ft mags,(What can I say, I like Commie-cams) 2 O'Connor 100s. I've also got an old Ryder box truck I'm converting into a camera truck. The studio has a Brey 35mm motion picture film processing machine, the 2 KEMS (I still want to pick up a pair of Moviolas for sound editing, they say it's much easier to edit sound on a upright than a flatbed), high speed rewind, Mitchell step printer a Magna-Tech 600 35mm sound recorder, a Compact MTM Dual 16 & 35mm Recorder & Dubber. I'm going old school with sound so I have a Nagra 4L with several mics cable ect. There are still a few things I need, coding machine, optical printer (I coulda bought a GORGEOUS one last year complete with transformers for 3500 bucks and I missed it, I'm STILL kicking myself over that one) , set of decent rewinds, large PAL monitor, Mitchell base tripod, and a lot of little things but we're gettin' REAL, REAL close. What's your shot about?

Edited by James Steven Beverly