Kodak Eastman Scholars Award

tom quinn

Hey Guys,

I know it's a little silly to post this, but I was pretty excited and wanted to let you know: 2 films I shot at Temple this year won the first and third prize in the Kodak Eastman Scholars competition. Both directors, Scott Calvert and Ben Kalina, were really amazing and a lot of people on this board helped guide me while we were in pre-production.

Here are some stills (many of which are a bit dark on a pc from Final Cut Pro!). Enjoy and Thanks for all the help. I have a lot to learn and this site is a great resource!

Tom

From "Derailed" the Gold Prize winner (super 16, 500T):

Dinner.jpg

more here: http://www.stationhousefilms.net/trains/RTB_Stills.html

From "Diorama" the Bronze Prize winner (DVX-100)

IzzyandPolarBear.jpg

more here: www.dioramamovie.com

enjoy!!

Edited by tom quinn

Hi Brian,

Thanks. It felt a little self-indulgent, but I was pretty jazzed. And when I tell most non-film folks they don't understand why I am excited since I didn't direct them. Haha!

later,

tom

We're all just cogs in the wheel. Some think that they are bigger cogs than others, but no machine will ever run if all the cogs aren't the same size and do their job.

Hey Tom, that first still looks great and looks very similar to something I'm about to shoot (well, at least from one still, I'm lighting primarily with practical lamps + whatever else is needed to fill in the blanks). How did you light that frame if you don't mind me asking?

Hey Kevin,

If I remember correctly, we put a 2 ft paper lantern with a 200 w bulb above them and made a skirt out of black wrap to keep it off the walls.

3/4 above/behind him was a 4 x 4 tungsten balanced kino (with lots of black wrap to shape it). above/behind her (tight corner) was a 300w arri heavily diffused and scrimmed. I can't remember what was in the practicals - I think they were 40w bulbs.

Good luck with your project! Throw up some stills when you're done!

tom