Short ends, recans

anton foy

Hello everyone!

I am hunting some cheap 16mm stock and I found this site: http://filmemporium.com

The prices for the recans, short ends and factory stock seems VERY cheap.

Whats the catch? Since Im a newbie could someone tell me what recans and short ends are and why it is so cheap.

Thank you very much!

Edit: oh sorry, I posted in the 16mm part when I should have posted in Film and processing. So sorry.

Hi-

I've never dealt with film emporium, but have used recans from several other sellers- mostly it's OK if you're budget is very low and you are finishing on tape. I would never use recans/ends on a film-finish print again- it was an eye-opening experience to see how varied (and how much) the base fog levels on supposedly "tested" stocks can be!

• Premium Member
Hi-

I've never dealt with film emporium, but have used recans from several other sellers- mostly it's OK if you're budget is very low and you are finishing on tape. I would never use recans/ends on a film-finish print again- it was an eye-opening experience to see how varied (and how much) the base fog levels on supposedly "tested" stocks can be!

For anything critical or that can't be shot again, it's always a good idea to have your lab run a clip test to check fog levels due to age or accidental x-ray security examination. Short ends and recans can be a really good "deal", but there is more risk the film was not stored or handled properly, or is outdated.

I've had so many problems with 'tested' recans, factory sealed, and short ends that I now refuse to shoot them unless it's a tape finish. If you are going to time it photochemically (traditionally) you are in for a nightmare matching diffferent rolls. Like Patrick said you will most likely see the blacks and contrast change between shots which can been very disappointing.

In telecine however, you have much more control and can adjust for those things.

All of these resellers say that if there is a problem they will replace the film, but it doesn't do you any good because you still have to go through the effort of setting up another shoot and you can't do it through insurance because the deductible is usually around $5k, which is a large portion of most short budgets.

Beware.

If it's too good to be true, it's probaly Fuji. Oops, just kidding. Bad joke for John. :rolleyes: