Two Jibs in Three Camera Shoot

Tim Pipher

• Premium Member

I'm putting together a three camera set-up to be used on a greenscreen cyclorama sound stage. We're hoping to have a decent level of flexibility so our set-up will be useful for many types of productions, including dramatic television and features.

All three of the cameras need to be tracked. In evaluating different tracking options, one possible configuration that was proposed was for two cameras to be on motion control jibs, and one on a tripod (or dolly or handheld if desired).

My question is: Are there any glaring disadvantages to having two out of three cameras on jibs? Other than helping with tracking, are there other advantages to having two jibs?

Thanks for any input!

• Premium Member
I would think the cost of two motion control jibs would be cost prohibitive.

Actually, it's a cheaper solution than our other tracking options and probably more reliable. But cost and tracking aside, would two jibs on the same shoot offer any advantages or disadvantages?

It's not necessarily a disadvantage. You don't always have to use the second jib camera as a tracking shot. Theoretically a jib or crane should give you more flexibility, not less, so every possible stage situation should be covered, including lock-offs, provided you can move the base to where you need it. Of course the other possibility is to pull that second jib camera off and throw it on sticks if need be for "normal" shooting.

Aside from very specific things you need two tracking cameras for, the other advantage to two jib cameras is having a wide and a tight shooting simultaneously side by side from varying positions/heights.

That said, I am curious as to what kind of projects you'll be shooting that would require two simultaneous tracking cameras on a green screen. :)

Edited by Brian Dzyak

• Premium Member
I am curious as to what kind of projects you'll be shooting that would require two simultaneous tracking cameras on a green screen. :)

Hello Brian and thanks. Actually, all three cameras will be simultaneously tracking. We're installing an Orad HD 3D virtual studio system, running the cameras through a switcher, and compositing live.