Reels: Group similar footage or disperse?

Jamie Warden

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to take a quick opinion poll...

When composing a reel, do you like to group clips from the same project together, (meaning :30 of project #1, :30 of project #2, etc.), or inter-cut clips from different projects throughout?

If you could explain your preference, that would be much appreciated!

I was given the advice to keep all the footage from one project together in a reel, and in most of the reels I've seen and really dug, that was the case.

Mostly, I think you run into the danger of lookling like you're trying to "stretch" your footage by mixing it all up.

Of course, usually you start with a little montage of a bunch of clips at the begining and the end of the peice when you do this.

I've never seen a reel that mixed doc and narrative, and I watch a fair amount of reels (but I don't work in a commercial agency, say, so I don't watch hundreds; maybe they are out there) . I'd say you would want to cut two seperate reels.

Ch:H

As long as it works, and it gets the message across of what you do and what you shoot, and ofcourse how good you are; that's what matters.

Charles: I would suspect that you being told what to see in a reel makes a pseudo standard for what reels you identify with.

We all know that in this industry a reel can be seen by the most amatuer mailroom employee and then a big time producer. Everyone suspects that they should be looking for something different, and everyone is looking for something different per project.

You can't win them all.

Jamie

• 4 weeks later...

The consensus on this forum was that I should split mine up ... It's very liberating, easier to show my "range," less chance of boring the viewer. If you've got enough good shots, potential clients won't wonder whether you can consistently light a master and it's coverage. This approach has done well for me. (Check out the link below.)