Cheap Fresnel light

Guest Luke McMillian

Guest Luke McMillian

Hi all,

Been using many different low budget fixtures for the past while : hardware halogen lights, photoflood with reflectors with homade cookies, and flags, diffusion. I really do need something that will give me a narrow beam of light and I looked for possibly DIY fresnel type light, found nothing, so I must have one in my kit that will gave me a narrow beam. I have been looking on ebay as price is of concern and found these blueline lights. 650 watt fresnel that looks acceptable. Any feedback on these lights, am I headed in the right direction? I really want to spend like $100 - $200 Canadian for a light.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/BluLine-650W-Video-Stud...1QQcmdZViewItem

I've looked at lowel pro lights, and they seem like they don't have the output that I need, and have heard problems with them getting ultra hot. I need a light that I can use by itself, or accompanied with other lights. Is 650 watts good or should I go with 1000? I'm using a mini dv camcorder.

• Premium Member

If you go with a 1k you may not use be able to use as many lights on the same circuit, if you're shooting in a house or similar.

An Arri 650 fresnel puts out a really smooth, attractive beam with a lot of punch. You should look at Mole Richardson as well.

But if you want a "beam" you may need something like an ellipsoidal, a "source four" perhaps.

Among my lighting I have an arri 650 fresnel, arri 1000 open face and a Lowel DP (1K) and I'm just very fond of the look of the 650 fresnel.

• Premium Member

It's hard to beat Mole Richardson, 1k fresnels come up cheap all the time on ebay. They last forever and have been an industry standard since the beginning. If you need the ellipsoid effect, seller pyramidfilms has a pair of 1k leko lights for $100 USD.

Have fun.