Camera check first usage?

Sander Beenen

Hi all,

Got my stock now (Kodak Tri-X b/w rev) and ready to shoot with my new H16 REX-4, but got some questions on first usage:

1. gate check: what to look out for really?

2. it came with the Gossen light meter for Bolex. The PX13 battery was offcourse empty so got a

PX625 (1.5 volts) in there now. Although that meter is calibrated for this Bolex something to be

aware off?

3. I come from the land of Super8 cartridges so any tips on film handling?

4. any other camera checks?

tia and best regards

Sander

• Premium Member
Hi all,

Got my stock now (Kodak Tri-X b/w rev) and ready to shoot with my new H16 REX-4, but got some questions on first usage:

1. gate check: what to look out for really?

2. it came with the Gossen light meter for Bolex. The PX13 battery was offcourse empty so got a

PX625 (1.5 volts) in there now. Although that meter is calibrated for this Bolex something to be

aware off?

3. I come from the land of Super8 cartridges so any tips on film handling?

4. any other camera checks?

tia and best regards

Sander

1 You are looking for dirt, hair and dust around the gate... both sides. Also make sure all the surfaces are clean and free from build up.

2 As far as I know, those batteries are suppose to be 1.35 volts or something like that. You can check it agaist a card with another meter. You shouldnt bother with that meter anyway. Use a handheld one.

3 Use a spotless, clean film tent for loading unless you are only using daylight loads. (which should be handled only in shadow) Keeping it clean, out of the sun and stored properly is mainly the things to keep in mind. Dont let dust, lint and hair get anywhere near your film.

4 You should have it serviced if it hasnt been. It will need lube and other checks for sure.

Hello Sander

In case you dont have access to other lightmeter One thing tha worked for me ( i saw it here in a thread i think) is that if you use the light meter with 1,5 volt battery you should do the following

(Film{ASA}/5)x2 and tha gives you the proper reading

For example a 400 asa film you rate it as follows

(400 / 5) X 2 = 160

thar rule works and gives me the same reading in the 18-86OE and matches the lightmeter readingsin my nikon FM2

also the footage comes ok

Ok i know i must buy i lightmeter

Good luck with your shoot

Hello Sander

In case you dont have access to other lightmeter One thing tha worked for me ( i saw it here in a thread i think) is that if you use the light meter with 1,5 volt battery you should do the following

(Film{ASA}/5)x2 and tha gives you the proper reading

For example a 400 asa film you rate it as follows

(400 / 5) X 2 = 160

thar rule works and gives me the same reading in the 18-86OE and matches the lightmeter readingsin my nikon FM2

also the footage comes ok

Ok i know i must buy i lightmeter

Good luck with your shoot

Thanx again Petin. I'll give that a shot and try to take along another meter as well.

regards

Sander