Russell Boyd Takes The Oscar

Tim Tyler

Australia's Russell Boyd has won the Oscar for cinematography. Boyd shot Master and Commander starring Russel Crowe and directed by Peter Weir.

Russell Boyd's credits include Gallipoli, A Town Like Alice, The Year of Living Dangerously, A Soldier's Story, Mrs. Soffel, Crocodile Dundee, Forever Young, Doctor Doolittle and Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.

ACCEPTANCE SPEECH

I have an Australian accent. I'd like to thank the Academy and a wonderful cast and crew. If I could mention my entire camera crew by name, I'd be here all night, but they did an absolutely wonderful supporting job for me, and for Peter and the whole production. Also, I'd like to thank Pat Murray my gaffer, and Chris Centrella my key grip, Ann Murtha and Larry Mirisch and to Duncan Henderson, who steered the ship some of the time. He was a great, great person to work with. And most of all, to Peter Weir, who provided extraordinary inspiration to all of us to give of our best. And to my family, Sandy and my boys, thank you very much.