s-8 Schematics

Ernie Zahn

Hello all,

I was hoping to learn more about the engineering of my cameras that way if there ever minor issues with the camera I could fix it myself and only send it out to get sericed when there is a really huge issue. And even when I do send it out, I'd like to understand enough of what's wrong to feel that what I pay to fix the camera really is worth it. I thought about, performing an autopsy on my camera but that would be a bad idea since I dn't know what I'm doing. I figured something like schematics would hell me out. But maybe there's a better place to start. I know that some people here really know their camera technics where did you get your knowledge? The cameras I'd want to learn more about are:

Beaulieu 6008s

Canon 514 XL

Nizo 3056

There are manuals and wiki articles, but they only tell you so much. Any input would be much appreciated.

These cameras are all rather simple. I have done a decent amount of super-8 camera repair and I would have to say that a schematic or repair manual is rarely necessary. I do have a repair manual for a couple of the canon 814's but it is microfiche and I never got around to scanning it. The real problem with repairing these cameras is parts availability. I have spent a lot of time using glue and solder to rebuild or repair parts that really should have been replaced.

In order to repair these cameras you need a good knowledge in mechanical, optical and electrical principles in how they relate to cameras. While often simple the small size of these cameras can make a lot of repairs rather difficult.

If you can find any old broken super8 cameras for cheap you might learn something from taking them apart and trying to fix them.

~Jess