SD to HD Questions

Ernie Zahn

Ok, so imagine that a film like Star Wars was going to be put to a format like HD DVD or BluRay. For a film that huge they'd probably remaster it in an HD telecine scanner for best picture quality. OR if there already is an HD master from the last remastering job they use that. So, I don't really have any confusion on movie film on HD.

But suppose hypotheyically, someone was creating a new documentary that was going to be presented in HD. Any original matrial shot be documenterer would be shot in HD, but if they wanted to use reference material like a news broadcast they'd go to the source. A live news broadcast from the 70's would be stored on Betacam SP or it's equivelant. I'm not really sure what tape format, but I know they were using tape and it was Standard Def. If you wanted to include standard def material in an HD project how do convert this material to HD?

Is it an accessible method, software, hardware?

Is it the type of thing that labs offer as a service?

Who does it?

I ask, because I wanted to some standard def material on tapes converted to HD. Not from the seveties, but Standard def none the less. I know it must be possible, as I've seen documentaries in HD that feature SD material. I just don't know anything about how it's done.

Nevermind, I see that compressor offers it :P

there are quite some tools that offer sd to hd upconversion but quality differs very much i think. there was a thread about this, but right now i don´t find it.

on the other hand there are hardware tools that do the job, but that will be expensive.

http://www.snellwilcox.com/quasarphc/

greets,

timo