Camera or Grip/Electric?

Greg Traw

I'm sure this questions has been asked before but I couldn't find anything on it when I searched...

Just curious? What are the differences between a DP that comes up through camera department as compared to G&E, if there are any? What are the experiences like working with both as comparable? Or is this a rhetorical question?

Probably...

What are the differences between a DP that comes up through camera department as compared to G&E, if there are any?

Well one knows how to light and the other knows how to load a camera. Which do you think is more important for a DP?

There are great DPs that have taken both routes but I personally feel that you should take every opportunity to do as much of both lighting and camera as you can.

It seems to me that most people who want to be DPs take the camera path and tend to neglect learning about lighting. As a result I have seen many green DPs who didn't know much about lighting. They eventually learn to light(or stop DPing), but I personally think you should know a bit about lighting before you do any professional DP work.

The opposite is of course also true as a DP who is an excellent Gaffer but doesn't know the first thing about framing or operating a camera probably isn't going to produce the greatest results.

~Jess

I've always found camera composition much less sophisticated then lighting/exposure. In fact I believe to a certain extent that any shot can be a an amazing shot if its lit/exposed amazingly. Obviously camera movement can manipulate the viewer to certain emotional points, but if its lit without emotion, the camera move would become an obvious attempt at manipulation and have no effect on the viewer. Some of my favorite films have simple compositions, the emotion is expressed through the lighting.

Edited by Chayse Irvin