A new Reel to hold and cherish

Jon Petro

Nice work, there aren't any shots that stand out as bad.

My critiques:

- Although "Just Like You Imagined" is a cool song, it may be a bit intense for your reel.

- Too long, it's good, but too long. Leave us hungry, not full. It will also make your reel tighter.

- It all looks like it's from the same movie, you should try to mix it up if you can.

- Last shot the actor on the right has a wireless mic transmitter sticking out.

Not bad though, I'll hold and cherish it forev.... for a while.

- Greg

Edited by Greg Johnson

Nice work, there aren't any shots that stand out as bad.

Hey thanks, at least nothing sucks

- Although "Just Like You Imagined" is a cool song, it may be a bit intense for your reel.

This is the first I have heard that, many other people have told me the opposite and that they enjoy it. I tried a lot of different songs, and this one seems to work well.

- Too long, it's good, but too long. Leave us hungry, not full. It will also make your reel tighter.

I could maybe cut out 20 seconds and get it down to 2'40", but I am not sure yet as I would like to get more opinions. I was trying to show a lot of different lighting set-ups and environments and how they worked within the scene instead of just one shot out of context. Plus I think that makes it more watchable. I'm not sure if 3 minutes is too long, don't think it drags in the least bit either. Then again, I made it.

- It all looks like it's from the same movie, you should try to mix it up if you can.

It is. However it is my best work on the best format I have used so I don't see the benefit of putting some old 16mm clip in there as that is the only other stuff I have. A great suggestion though.

Hopefully, What I think it does do is show if I was hired for a feature I could give it all one unified look. There are a ton of different lighting situations in there too. I wish I had a second movie or 5 other films to cut in there no doubt.

- Last shot the actor on the right has a wireless mic transmitter sticking out.

Haha, first time I noticed, he is a fireman so maybe it works. Doesn't take away from the lighting and composition in my opinion.

Not bad though, I'll hold and cherish it forev.... for a while.

Didn't mean for the topic title to sound pretentious, it's just my humor, hope it didn't come off that way.

Thanks,

Jon

I think it's funny you ask for critique, then defend every suggestion I made.

:rolleyes:

Reed all the other threads here about demo reels, 90% of them say "too long". I know your baby is more cute, and it's hard to let stuff go. Trust me, from a fresh pair of eyes,.. it drags on. As a producer or director I'd want to see an impressive reel and be left with an urge for more, rather then loose interest turn it off half way. Think about the psychology behind that for a sec.

I understand you haven't shot much, but don't feel you need "filler" by adding more of the same thing. You demonstrated consistency within the first few shots. Grab just the most awesome shots and put them in. Most of your shots show you are definitely competent, but there are a few shots in there that are flat,.. like the girls at the door, and a few shots that are fuzzy,.. get rid of them! (You're perfect remember,.. or so says your reel) ;)

The music is very intense, and all I can think off is the 300 trailer. Trust me, I love the song and even toyed with it for my reel. If your people love it - rad, but I'm offering an un-biased opinion.

Get rid of the last shot with the mic or paint it out! I noticed it first time round. Cinematography is all about the details, what are you trying to say about you and your images if you leave a blatant flub in your reel? Sure it's lit fine, but if you aren't looking at the content,.. who is?

Look, I'm not upset and I'm afraid I'm coming off as a know it all jerk. I'm too haven't shot much and am still learning, my reel is far from perfect. But please don't dismiss a pair of fresh unbiased eyes and ears. You're close to your work and you've become attached to your reel. I was told to cut my reel down by this forum and I thought they were crazy. 6 months later I wish I'd cut even more out.

Do what you want, there's no right or wrong way,.. and I hope you don't think I'm a jerk :angry: Just please don't ask for advice then play it all down. Less people will want to pipe in if they know you're not going to even consider their advice.

Good luck with the reel!

- Greg

I think it's funny you ask for critique, then defend every suggestion I made.

:rolleyes:

Reed all the other threads here about demo reels, 90% of them say "too long". I know your baby is more cute, and it's hard to let stuff go. Trust me, from a fresh pair of eyes,.. it drags on. As a producer or director I'd want to see an impressive reel and be left with an urge for more, rather then loose interest turn it off half way. Think about the psychology behind that for a sec.

I understand you haven't shot much, but don't feel you need "filler" by adding more of the same thing. You demonstrated consistency within the first few shots. Grab just the most awesome shots and put them in. Most of your shots show you are definitely competent, but there are a few shots in there that are flat,.. like the girls at the door, and a few shots that are fuzzy,.. get rid of them! (You're perfect remember,.. or so says your reel) ;)

The music is very intense, and all I can think off is the 300 trailer. Trust me, I love the song and even toyed with it for my reel. If your people love it - rad, but I'm offering an un-biased opinion.

Get rid of the last shot with the mic or paint it out! I noticed it first time round. Cinematography is all about the details, what are you trying to say about you and your images if you leave a blatant flub in your reel? Sure it's lit fine, but if you aren't looking at the content,.. who is?

Look, I'm not upset and I'm afraid I'm coming off as a know it all jerk. I'm too haven't shot much and am still learning, my reel is far from perfect. But please don't dismiss a pair of fresh unbiased eyes and ears. You're close to your work and you've become attached to your reel. I was told to cut my reel down by this forum and I thought they were crazy. 6 months later I wish I'd cut even more out.

Do what you want, there's no right or wrong way,.. and I hope you don't think I'm a jerk :angry: Just please don't ask for advice then play it all down. Less people will want to pipe in if they know you're not going to even consider their advice.

Good luck with the reel!

Greg,

I think you are over reacting my friend. I do appreciate your comments and especially the fact that you took the time to make them. I am not dismissing them. They are all valid points. The problem with an internet forum is you cannot read a person's attitude. I am simply defending my work. It does not mean I don't get your critique by any means.

I don't think you are a jerk. Perhaps we are guilty of the same crime here, I am defending my work and now you are defending your criticisms.

However, I am confident that my reel is better than something that gets turned off half way.

I know it will come off as self-loving to say, but my reel is something that is worthy of more than "nothing that stands out as bad". I find that a comment that I won't take too seriously. It is of professional quality, and the opinion of many others will validate that. They are not all my girlfriends and mothers either.

I do enjoy specific criticisms and thanks for elaborating in your second post.

The fuzzy shot comment makes perfect sense to me, I know the shots you speak of, and I will chop them for sure. The girl at the door also is the shot that bothers me the most, I wanted to let the moment play out, as it is humorous, but I will chop that too and save it for my director's reel. That should shorten the reel by about 20 seconds. I believe. The wireless transmitter I am on the fence about. But if I cut those two shots my reel should be about the same length as yours, being that it is only 25 something seconds longer right now.

I did not know the song was from 300. I don't care much about that movie and what it represents in general, which I believe to be a two hour music video that looks like a job of colorists and not cinematography. If more people say something like that song only makes them think of 300 I will probably end up changing it. That would bother me a great deal, as I hate that movie. I think Bourne Ultimatum when I hear the song in your reel, but with that mentality we could not use any cool song ever made.

Your second post was far more valuable than the first because you elaborated a great deal on specific shots. I really do appreciate your time Greg. I wish you luck as well.

Jon