Moviecam Compact viewfinder

Dan Goulder

• Premium Member

Can anyone who's had experience with both tell me if there's any optical difference whatsoever, either in size, width, magnification, or brightness between the viewfinder in the Moviecam Super America and the Moviecam Compact? (I'm familiar with the viewfinder in the Super America, but have never used a Compact, which may be utilized in an upcoming shoot.)

Thanks.

Hi, compact has excellent optical system in my opinion and I had good experience with it. It is completely modular and easy to setup. Viewfinders are interchangeable between compact and SL (there is optical adapter plate). SL handheld finder is darker but it is really small and compact. I used SL with compact finder and MovieGlow and also with SL optics. Eyepiece and extension tube are mounted via Leica M mount, so it is even faster to interchange then Arri.

Last time that I shoot with Super was in ?99 so I cant really remember it, but in my opinion Compact/SL system is bright, lit and cinematographer friendly.

I hope that this is helpful.

• Premium Member
If you get a Compact Mk2 it will have the Arricam's viewfinder which makes a huge difference.

I appreciate your response. Would you happen to know if the Compact Mk1 optics are the same as the Super America?

Thanks.

I appreciate your response. Would you happen to know if the Compact Mk1 optics are the same as the Super America?

Thanks.

Since I have never worked with a Super America I don't know. But my guess is that they designed a new one for the Compact since it came out ten years later.