Capricorn 1

• Premium Member

In our country (Czech republic) an audio/video magazine issued Capricorn 1 movie on a Bluray disc. Technically the release is quite OK - like: there are no scratches in the picture, but the first half of the movie looks quite soft, especially in the interiors - with some wide shots it looks like only the center of the picture is in focus while loosing it gradually to the edges. Second half - the exterior shots in canyons (lots of light presumably), there are no such problems.

Does anyone know what stock sensitivity they have used for the movie? What about the lenses used? (Panavision is mentioned in the credits)

• Premium Member

OK, nevermind - I have got info from a guy who worked on the BD authoring - since it was not a big budget production the movie did not used the top notch optics, other cause was that some scenes were probably zoomed in the negative during the original edit of the movie, so all this resulted in picture softness and worse focus feeling.

I haven't seen it in years, but "Capricorn One" was most likely shot on the standard film stock from 1976 to 1981 (Kodak 5247, 100 ASA) using Panavision C-Series anamorphic lenses, like most films from that period.

DP Bill Butler shot both "Grease" and "Damien: Omen II" that year and both look fine from a technical point of view, so I wouldn't blame the optics or film stock if something is wrong with the HD transfer.