HElp with editing using S16mm

Guest nuc

Hi

I'm a first time film-maker I?ve never attended any film-making course however i have taken film theory, anyway i currently working on a project using a Krasnagorsk K-3 (Upgraded to S16) to shoot a S16mm short feature, being a low budget film i was wondering the best method of editing the film. Editing on film is out however what would be the best and most inexpensive way to firstly transfer the film to computer or is that the best way. Another issue i am also working on is blowing up the film to 35mm what issues are involved in this process.

Any help would be grandly received

First off, you should read up on the archives of previous posts and threads on these topics. There is lots of information on this forum and all your questions and many more have been answered many times over in great detail.

Very basically, you want to have your film footage transferred to a video format (perhaps MiniDV) that you can import into your computer's editing program. In the transfer, to video, the lab can put some coded numbers on the tape that correspond to the film frames. This way after you edit the video, a negative cutter can use these numbers to properly cut te film to the same edit.

Do the search for info on blowup. I just went through this proceedure here a few weeks ago, and there must be 100 posts on how to do it in the archives.

Thanks for the insight Mitch, getting involved in film-making without any formal education is proving somewhat of a challenge.

thanks

Hey Nuc,

I just shot a short student film on S16 down here in Melbourne. The cheapest and most convenient method for editing the film was to telecine it onto MiniDV and then use Final Cut to do the rest. You can output onto a DVD which is still pretty good.

The telecine sessions weren't too expensive but aren't cheap either. An hour will run you up to $300 with a colorist. You can get student rates. We did two half hour sessions at around $120 each for 600ft of film. The price included sound synching, cost of MiniDV tape, and GST.

If you've got the cash you could scan or telecine the film to HD or Digital Beta but then you'll need the gear for editing.

I haven't done any 35mm blowups but I've read that there are certain guidelines that you have to follow in order to shoot S16 with the intention of blowing up. If you do manage to do it let us know how you go!

All the best! :D