Canon auto zoom 814 elec. optics

James Meagher

Hello again,

I've just purchased a Canon auto zoom 814 electronic (7.5 - 60mm, f1.4). I'm planning on using it for a project I'll be shooting first thing in the new year and will have very little time to field test it. I plan on using the manual aperture controls and metering the lighting myself with my light meter. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the amount of exposure lost in the camera due to the viewfinder optics etc., etc...

If I'm shooting Plus X 100... Should I be rating it considerably slower than that? I expect a certain amount of loss, but if it's as high as a stop then I need to be thinking about another stock (Tri-x).

Naturally I'm hoping to have the time to do my own tests on this matter, but due to the camera being in transit, holidays, deadlines, working with musicians... the more info I can glean sooner rather than later, the better!

Thanks,

James

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on your new camera. It's another one of my favorites and I use more. As long as if you don't mind too much about camera running noise when recording sound you'll be alright with it and will cover most of your super 8 needs.

Regarding your question, if you are shooting interiors go definitelly with tri-x, it's been designed for that. I self process b/w at home with "old" chemistry, so I keep shooting plus-x 50ASA rated. It looks almost 16mm when shooting in daylight and with a good exposure.

I've recently developed old tri-x shot at 320T (one stop pushed) and turned out pretty good. Remember that when you are not home processing, labs will charge you extra for pushing/pulling your film.

Hope this helps,

Fernando.