which gel to use for green screen?

i'm going to shoot a couple of green screen shots in my next project in india and my general approach will be to light the green screen from above and below with a number of 4 banks kinos (i still dont know how big the green screen is going to be). since i cant have the supergreen tubes here i was wondering which rosco gel will match my kinos better (kinos wil be with tungsten bulbs).

besides in one shot the green screen will be on the floor: the actor will be hanging from above and the camera on a top angle above him. in post, we'll try to achieve the effect of the actor spinning down in a black hole as his figure will become smaller and smaller. if on set i'll light him just from one side would the final outcome look weird considering that the spinning effect will be achieved in post? i mean the light on him will be always from the same side no matter of what his position is while spinning? of course it is not going to be a naturalistic shot, actually it's all the opposite, anyhow i'd appreciate a lot any suggestion from more experienced cameramen in this domain.

thank you.

• Premium Member

I really don't understand your question. There's no reason you have to gel the lights that are lighting your screen with anything. As long as they match and the screen is exposed within the proper range, your compositor will be happy.

As for how you light the person hanging from whatever, it will look very strange the way you describe. if that's what you want, fine. If not, perhaps a sort of poor-man's process kind of thing in the studio would work.

i wanted to light him from the side because of the camera angle (the camera will be right above him). but i guess that if i opt for a chimera 1 or 2k more as 3/4 front light (in relaton to the camera) the spill over the green screen - that i plan to light with kinos - will be negligeable and he'll be lit more evenly.

Use daylight balanced kinos whenever lighting greenscreen as there is much more blue-green in the color spectrum than tungsten lighting. The cleaner your screen work, the easier things are in post. Gel your kinos with plus green if you have it, but if not, not a huge deal. Good luck man.

Bobby Shore

DP

LA/Montreal

If you are going to be using lots of soft light, you should have lots of flags, and 4x4 floppies. You are going to have to control the light as much as possible.

Try to have your compositor on set, so they can keep an eye on the shots, and the eveness of the green screen.

Use space lights by the way. I recently saw 3 used on a white room video and it took 20 minutes to have them up and evenly lit. I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. Kino's will work, but the falloff is fairly quick, so you'll need kinos on all sides of the green screen which takes time and lots of kinos.