Where to begin.

John Murphy

Hello all I've recently discovered the amazing resource that is this forum and have been reading through just about every topic there is. I am nearing the end of my stay at film school and this site has been an invaluable aide in putting me on track with where to go after graduation. I have begun contacting D.P.s as well as 1st and 2nd A.C.s that I have met during my experiences as a PA in search of opportunities of becoming a camera intern with them on various projects when possible. In addition to this I am beginning to seek employment with rental houses to increase my knowledge of the workings of various cameras I have yet to experience. My question comes in the fact that my preferred course would lean towards documentary-style television such as what airs on the Discovery Channel and the History Channel. I am curious if my initial strategy should vary in any way if my goal is this style of television as compared to feature film productions. Also, would anyone be kind enough to recommend a source where I can find a large listing of rental houses, preferably on the east coast?

Sorry for the long post, I just have a lot of questions/concerns.