If you are considering a shotgun/cardioid mic...

dan brockett

• Premium Member
What a bunch of work, good job. How do you rate the MKH-416 against an MKH-60?

The MKH-416 has a bit more of a presence peak. The MKH-60 tends to be flatter. Both makes have their proponents. Sorry, but I don't know if that answer brings greater clarity or confusion...?

• Premium Member
The MKH-416 has a bit more of a presence peak. The MKH-60 tends to be flatter. Both makes have their proponents. Sorry, but I don't know if that answer brings greater clarity or confusion...?
That's exactly the type answer I was looking for. Once you're talking about very good mikes, comparisons become a matter of subtle differences. The 416 having a bit of a presence peak explains why so many location recordists prefer them for dialogue.

• Premium Member

My gosh. What an extraordinary article.

I've got the AT4073. I love it. I leave the high pass filter on all the time and tape it down. It's user friendly for the random crew that ends up being the boom-ho each day. It is light at the end of the telescoping, aluminum tube, paint roller poles we use for the booms. It's pattern is tolerant of slightly sloppier mic targeting from untrained operators. It can be a little sensitive of high-pitched noise. I've gotten the knack of turd polishing out that noise. Goldwave's filters do an amazing job at that.

• 1 month later...