Chapman Pee Wee with Fisher 21 jib

Anton Delfino

Hey guys -

First time poster, here but in my quick perusal of the site, there seems to be quite a bit of experienced voices. I'm working on a Columbia University film next week that actually has a budget (how about that?!) For budgetary reasons, they're using the school-owned Chapman Pee Wee (instead of a rented Fisher 11) and would like to rig a Fisher 21 jib onto it. I've done a little bit of web research and I'm finding that the Chapmans use a universal head, which have three teeth, while the Fishers don't - looks like they have 2 teeth on opposite sides. Now, I wanted to see if it was even possible to rig this and if so, what would be needed to make this happen.

* Note: On the Fisher site, I noticed there's a center mount that is used when the jib goes on it. Would that same center mount be required for the Chapman as well?

Thanks for any help, everyone. It is certainly appreciated.

Best,

Anton

Hey guys -

First time poster, here but in my quick perusal of the site, there seems to be quite a bit of experienced voices. I'm working on a Columbia University film next week that actually has a budget (how about that?!) For budgetary reasons, they're using the school-owned Chapman Pee Wee (instead of a rented Fisher 11) and would like to rig a Fisher 21 jib onto it. I've done a little bit of web research and I'm finding that the Chapmans use a universal head, which have three teeth, while the Fishers don't - looks like they have 2 teeth on opposite sides. Now, I wanted to see if it was even possible to rig this and if so, what would be needed to make this happen.

* Note: On the Fisher site, I noticed there's a center mount that is used when the jib goes on it. Would that same center mount be required for the Chapman as well?

Thanks for any help, everyone. It is certainly appreciated.

Best,

Anton

It is possible to mount a Fisher 21 Jib to a Chapman Pee Wee but not in the way you are thinking. Chapman has a "High Post Assembly" which is similar to the Fisher Center Mount. This is what you should use to mount the jib properly.

There is an image of Chapman's High Post Assembly in the Stinger Jib Manuals on the Chapman website. The Chapman High Post Assembly should be available from Panavision New York and may also be available from Camera Service Center (CSC). Make sure they show you how to set it up.

It is possible to mount a Fisher 21 Jib to a Chapman Pee Wee but not in the way you are thinking. Chapman has a "High Post Assembly" which is similar to the Fisher Center Mount. This is what you should use to mount the jib properly.

There is an image of Chapman's High Post Assembly in the Stinger Jib Manuals on the Chapman website. The Chapman High Post Assembly should be available from Panavision New York and may also be available from Camera Service Center (CSC). Make sure they show you how to set it up.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll take a look at the site.

The proper base for a Fisher 21 is a Fisher 10 dolly. It's a seamless system, and you'd probably have to get pretty creative to make it work on a different dolly. There are lots of other jibs out there, and I suppose there's this "high-post assembly," though I can't think of a time in a decade of gripping that I've seen one put on a pee-wee; it's just kind of wanky. You can certainly do a lot with an Elemack Spider dolly and a jib. Kaufman-Astoria or Paramount has them.