New VFX Reel

Hey everyone, I've finally got my reel up; I'd love to get some feedback on it.

www.sdfvfx.com

[right-click on "reel", save-as, you know the drill]

For background, I graduated from Columbia College Chicago in May, and this is basically my first reel. I worked on The Dark Knight and Speed Racer in Chicago, both times as VFX Data Wrangler. I'm hoping that this reel will help me get some feature work as an artist, although it may be a while before I get anything due to the strike.

The content that takes up most of the running time here is from a Columbia film called Pirates & Pills, which is currently being submitted to festivals and whatnot. I was VFX Supervisor on it, and did all of the compositing. There were ultimately 12 shots that I had to do. Creating the clouds and oceans was an enormous challenge; usually when you do this sort of content you've got an in-house R&D department to help you get what you need. I obviously did not have any of that and had to squeeze a solution out of off-the-shelf software. All of the environments were ultimately created using Vue 6, 3d tracking was done in PFTrack, and everything was comped entirely in Nuke.

I'd love to get feedback from the people here. Right now I'm just happy to finally have this finished, but now my plan is to get as many people to see this as possible (or more specifically, as many of the right people ;)), and see what kind of opportunities are available.

Thanks!

Edited by Scott Fritzshall

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Nice work, Scott. If you're looking for full time work and would like to live in Florida (nice weather, no state income tax), I hope you'll consider my studio that opens in March.

We'll create our virtual environments in advance (and over time compile a virtual back lot), and composite them live using our HD Orad machine.

We'll be doing paid jobs for outsiders and making our own movies during gaps in paid work. We're also pitching a TV series or two -- maybe we'll get lucky. Should be fun!

www.southeasternstudios.com