Super-8 Sound

Arthur Greisiger

Greetings from Independentville,

I've been hoping to experiment with a Beaulieu 5008s. The camera has it's limitations, but I've had the thought that the magnetic strip on the (no longer available) sound film might serve well for a time-code track or a simple guide voice track. I wonder if there is enough interest in new stock that we might collectively put together enough of an order to convince Kodak to make a run? I'm sure they must still have the equipment to do that, I can't imagine that they purged it out. Of course, this is speculative, but it's an idea I'd be willing to pursue, since I would like to have some new stock to play around with.

Also, I'm constructing a replaceable AA battery cartridge for the grip on that camera (and the R-16) and I may produce more if there are enough people who want one or two.

If anyone is interested drop me a line.

Arthur Greisiger, Image of the Mind Studios

IMS e-mail

Yep, they stupidly purged all the moulds for the sound and 200ft cartridges quite a few years back. Personally I think the other new manufacturers (Cinevia et al) should be looking into making replicas of those cartridges, not the ones already on sale by the big K, as there's a genuine niche to exploit there.

• Premium Member

Camera-based Commag has been quite rightly killed of by Kodak because of the complexity involved in manufacturing (search the archives for posts on that subject by the late John Pytlack from Kodak made in this very forum) and the overbearing limitations while shooting; and the probability of it returning from an already-fighting-for-survival-with-a-mainstream-product German cottage industry company is close to zero. I would suggest to move on, just as people have achieved to move on from the discontinued K-40.

:rolleyes: :lol: If you are serious your worries are over .I have a limited amount of super 8 sound carts frozen since manufacture by KODAK in mid 90's ELA 594 ASA 160 .(Near perfect exposure ,test results available.)SELLING @$25 EACH Processing approx $30 each in USA

PERFECT FOR YOUR 5008 If interested call me toll free 1 800806 6808

dave in new jersey

Thanks David, I will call you, because I do want to experiment. And thanks to you other guys for your thoughts. Too bad, my thinking is along the line of format choices. I wanted to compare image quality between this format and (say) mini DV. I'm not even working with HD yet, mostly because I don't like video imaging at all, but, you know, it's cost effective. I never shot much 8mm in the day, mostly 16mm. I'm impressed with the concept of immediate transfer to DV while originating on film. It makes for a secure archive, although, without sound film for that camera, I'm back to wild sync, unless I can find a pilotone and you know how that goes. The other aspect of it, is to be free to blend the production value that you would achieve using the format. I like to do that to create texture.

Yeh, John Pytlack, I remember him. I figured that system would die. Nobody, I talked to liked the idea of clearcoat too much. I wonder if the specs for the stripping machinery is somewhere to be had? For that matter I wonder if the magnetic stripping could even be acquired, maybe 3M? Is there another technology that uses it? Then I have to wonder about the bonding, can you even get away with an adhesive and I wonder if the strip is put on before or after the emulsion? Most likely after, but it would be easier to do before. But then again, you just said Fuji stripes the film after exposure. That doesn't help for time code (at the time of the shoot), but... it does show it is still a happening thing. I wonder if they would strip and order of unexposed film? If they can?

Well thanks for your thoughts. AG

Edited by Arthur Greisiger

An afterthought- I've been researching the sound stripping process. It's more complicated than I thought. I still think the stock would be desirable, if for no other reason than for time code. I have a feeling that the format (aspect ratio), the image stability and the cost factor make this an exercise in futility though. Oh well. AG

• Premium Member

I am intrigued, Arthur Greisiger from Independentville:

could you desribe your idea for timecode recording on Commag a bit further, like read-out through what, how it would serve its purpose and integrate how into what post chain?

One could install a reader unit onto a Beaulieu Mastercut 8-16 before going to NLE or DI, a solution once propagated by Ritter in Germany, but that tanked bitterly...