What is the default sound for DVD?

Greetings,

I just wrapped post-production on a no-budget short shot on film and then transferred to digital for editing. The sound which was composed and edited in post is in stereo.

My question: for the purpose of submitting to film festivals, what is the default for basic DVD's with Stereo sound?

The list they provide doesn't list stereo and so I am unsure as to which is appropriate.

Thanks for your input...

Greetings,

I just wrapped post-production on a no-budget short shot on film and then transferred to digital for editing. The sound which was composed and edited in post is in stereo.

My question: for the purpose of submitting to film festivals, what is the default for basic DVD's with Stereo sound?

The list they provide doesn't list stereo and so I am unsure as to which is appropriate.

Thanks for your input...

Here is the list of available sound formats provided, none of which list Stereo...?

Optical

Magnetic

SepMag/Cardband

Dolby A

Dolby SR

LTRT

DTS

SDDS

OTHER

SILENT

Dolby E

Dolby Digital

Here is the list of available sound formats provided, none of which list Stereo...?

Optical

Magnetic

SepMag/Cardband

Dolby A

Dolby SR

LTRT

DTS

SDDS

OTHER

SILENT

Dolby E

Dolby Digital

That's an interesting list, because it appears to contain a mix of audio formats (e.g., "Dolby Digital") as well as transport mediums (e.g., "optical"). I suppose it's just a way for them to allow rare or proprietary formats - you bring the decoder with an optical output, and they'll broadcast it.

Either way, "LTRT" (LtRt -> LeftRight) is probably the most sensible choice -- unless I'm missing something.

• Premium Member
Either way, "LTRT" (LtRt -> LeftRight) is probably the most sensible choice -- unless I'm missing something.

You could do a Left-Center-Right-Surround mixdown. Basically a Dolby SR style mix but without the SR noise reduction. That mix will sound okay on stereo playback systems and have a bit more "sizzle" on surround systems. Just about any "home theatre" style system has a Dolby Surround mode.

You could do a Left-Center-Right-Surround mixdown. Basically a Dolby SR style mix but without the SR noise reduction. That mix will sound okay on stereo playback systems and have a bit more "sizzle" on surround systems. Just about any "home theatre" style system has a Dolby Surround mode.

While that certainly is sound advice (no pun intended), I believe the sound for her film is already finished in basic two-channel stereo - she just needed help choosing the closest match from the list (since "stereo" wasn't listed).

for the purpose of submitting to film festivals, what is the default for basic DVD's with Stereo sound?

The listed formats are normally used for 35mm Film. For Video-DVDs they don't matter. DVDs neither use SR noise-reduction.

Video-DVD provides 5 channels plus subwoofer (5.1). Your DVD-authoring-software should put the stereosignal automatically where it has to be. With certain software you can choose wether the subwoofer is used or not. Video-DVDs with stereosound are normally "Dolby Digital 2.0".