Cinetape

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with Cinetape system. Is it worth the extra trouble? An AC has requested it for an upcoming shoot but she hasn't used it before and I want to know it is as good as advertised or are there pitfalls?

Experiences and anecdotes are much appreciated.

• Premium Member
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with Cinetape system. Is it worth the extra trouble? An AC has requested it for an upcoming shoot but she hasn't used it before and I want to know it is as good as advertised or are there pitfalls?

Experiences and anecdotes are much appreciated.

They can be useful, but it's definitely not something to depend on too much. The trick is that you can't see what it is measuring the distance to during a shot. Usually, it's very obvious when it is not measuring to the subject you want but I can certainly imagine scenarios where it wouldn't be so obvious and you could trick yourself.

For most things I would say it's not worth it. If there is a lot of, say, steadicam it may be helpful.

• Premium Member

A Cinetape or Panatape can be useful pretty much all of the time. But the biggest problem that occurs with those systems is user error. An AC has to be experienced with how the system works, and it's quirks, in order to make the best use of it. On many shows the tape never comes off the camera and it's used constantly, but you'll also see the 1st taking measurements and double checking the tape. I'm not sure how useful it would be for a 1st who's never seen or used a tape before. It may add to any uncertainty that 1st already has.

Disclaimer: I've never pulled focus off a Cinetape or Panatape before. I'm speaking as an operator who has seen them in use a lot, and from my experience working with 1st's who are very good with the tape.

I only have experience with the cinetape, and my advice could only be categorized as cautionary. Although it can work wonders and is suprizingly simple in set-up and calibration, it is certainly not to be trusted as a dead on measurement.

With a subject as small as a human head, the cinetape can often miss the desired subject, so my advice is to use it as back-up for your own measurements and intuitions. and don't trust it for critical measurements (probably closer than 4 or 5 feet), it is not dead accurate.

• Premium Member

My experience with the cinetape/ panatape is ordering it and then joking with my first on why I bother trying to get them for him when he has never used it on any job with me, ever. I think the one time we did use the Panatape the sound guy yelled at us.

Kevin Zanit