Issues with Bayonet to PL lens adapter??

Greetings,

I am about to shoot a student short with my school's ArriSR2 (PL mount) and Zeiss SuperSpeeds (Bayonet mount), and need an adapter. The rental house highly recommended that I do NOT do this. The response wasn't too specific, but he said I should rent a set of lenses that would match the camera (no budget for this) or get the lenses or camera remounted (but they are own by the school and I cannot modify them).

I understand that swapping a single adapter between a set of lenses could be an issue due to 1) either it getting stuck on one lens, and being forced to shoot with that one lens, or 2) it being improperly inserted, causing backfocus problems.

We are already looking to get more than one adapter to settle problem #1 above, but other than that, I cannot figure out a reason why a low-budget student film could or should get an adapter for each lens. Althought, I have not yet seen the footage, we had no problems swapping a single adapter over the set for the lens tests...

What am I overlooking? Anyone have any insight/guidance/nightmares to share?

Thanks!

As long as backfocus is right and you use a quality adapter you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure that the adapters are mounted properly.

So does your school not have a set of lenses to use with their SR2? If they purchased that set of lenses to use with that camera then they should atleast get a set of the "permanent" screw on type adapters and leave them on the lenses.

~Jess

The problem is that there can be slight variances in tolerances on the camera mount the lens set depth and the thickness of the adaptor. All this combined means that the lenses and camera must be precisely set to one another with the adapter in place. This is something that we do with our own equipment for every rental, but it is important to understand that for any outside equipment coming in we would have to charge a fee for the service. And then the school might be unhappy that we've altered anything on the adjustments of the lenses and camera as they may now be off when used with other gear. Nothing like getting everything back out of focus! We are talking about adjustments made in microns.