Characteristic-Camera Stops

while looking at the technical data of kodak vision2 5201 i came across the the term characterstic camera stop curve, if anybody could please elaborate it , i am new to cinematography and have never come across it, and find it little complicated, below i have copied the exact article which is confusing; as it says of under and over exposure in fraction. what does it mean?, it states 21/3 stops accordingly we get 7 stops which is little wierd,i have never heard of 7 stops higher further it says anything over is over exposure lattitude, very confusing :blink: :blink: :blink:

On the Characteristic-Camera Stop curve, the center point ("0") on the x-axis corresponds to a normal exposure of an 18-percent gray card in the red, green, and blue layers of this film. A white card is 2 1/3 stops higher than normal exposure. Anything more is overexposure latitude. A 3-percent black card is 2 2/3 stops below normal exposure. Anything less is underexposure latitude. it before

Hi,

I have looked at the graph you mentioned (think it was the one). It basically shows reaction of film(darkening) when exposed to light. Exposure is expressed in T-stops not in logH as usual and 18% gray card normal exposure is considered 0 (card measured by spotmeter and the value considered the right exposure). So if you want to move within the dynamic range of the film the luminance of the set should not exceed 2 1/3 over and 2 2/3 under when measured with your spotmeter. I think that is the simple way to understand the graph. And alsoo, maybe you just misunderstood, 2 1/3 is two and a third T-stop not seven.

Hope I helped you a bit

Hi,

I have looked at the graph you mentioned (think it was the one). It basically shows reaction of film(darkening) when exposed to light. Exposure is expressed in T-stops not in logH as usual and 18% gray card normal exposure is considered 0 (card measured by spotmeter and the value considered the right exposure). So if you want to move within the dynamic range of the film the luminance of the set should not exceed 2 1/3 over and 2 2/3 under when measured with your spotmeter. I think that is the simple way to understand the graph. And alsoo, maybe you just misunderstood, 2 1/3 is two and a third T-stop not seven.

Hope I helped you a bit

oopps yes i actually misunderstood it :( , i thought it was 21/3, seven stops over really made me feel scary ,i thought i have missed somthing critical, :rolleyes: thanks for replying,

the dop for whom i am doing lighting continuty was surprised when i asked him about the same but he was quick to rectify it,